While we were vacationing

The Women´s Basketball team ended their best season ever over break. (www.guilford.edu/sports)

While most of us fled campus over break in pursuit of the great ber-party, Guilford athletes remained – sometimes conquering, sometimes not. Though they were deprived of all the sun-tanned, scantily clad wonders that accompany spring break, many athletes and teams created wonders of a different sort.The Old Dominion Athletic Conference dubbed leftfielder A.J. McCauley Baseball Player of the Week (March 4-10). In five games, McCauley batted .565 and helped the Quaker’s five-game winning streak.

The Golf team placed second out of 19 teams in the Treasure Coast/World Trade Center Heroes Classic in Port St. Lucie, Florida on March 15. Most of the teams on the course were Division I. Senior Savio Nazareth, first among the team, was sixth out of individual golfers with a two-over-par 146.

Men’s Lacrosse nabbed their first shutout since 1985 with an 18-0 victory over Marietta during the first game of the Guilford Lacrosse Tournament. They later fell prey to the Mary Washington Eagles (3-10). The Eagles also defeated Wooster and were ultimately the tournament champions.

The Women’s Basketball team lost to Hardin-Simmons in the second round of the NCAA Division III Tournament March 3. Hardin-Simmons made the victory shot in the last six seconds of the game. The final score was 71-72, markedly better than last year’s 77-106 loss to the same team.

Congratulations to Women’s Basketball team member Erin Beacham, who earned second team All-South honors from D3Hoops.com March 21.

Stay tuned for reports on future feats of athleticism.