A look at fall Sports

Things are looking up for the Guilford College sports teams. With two Division III Tournament berths last year, Guilford sports are better than ever.Golf
Golf opens up its year on September 4 this year at Bridgewater College. After coming off last year’s triumphs, Guilford Golf, led by 25th year Coach Jack Jensen, hopes to continue their hot streak. Guilford was one stroke away from claiming the NCAA Division III Tournament on May 10th and they hope to do even better this year.

Women’s Soccer
Guilford’s Women’s Soccer opens its year on September 1 at a tournament at Greensboro College. Led by seniors Amy Evans, Erica Brammer, and The Guilfordian’s own Angela Rioux, they look to exceed their record of 6-11-1. Under Coach Forrest Collier, and with five new freshman faces, the team’s outlook is excellent.

Football
In Football Coach Mike Ketchum’s 11th year, the Football team looks to improve on their disappointing 1-9 year. To invigorate the team, Coach Ketchum has brought in between 30 and 40 new freshmen. Sophomore Isa Stokes said that the team has a “solid core of returning players in key positions, with new players who can contribute early.” With many of last year’s freshman returning to the field, the team expects great things to happen. Fellow sophomore Feky Eugene proclaimed the team looks “better than last year.” This years starts on Sept. 1 at Carson Newman College.

Men’s Soccer
Guilford College Men’s Soccer gets underway Sept. 1 at Maryville College. Despite a disappointing scrimmage against North Carolina Wesleyan, the soccer team looks to crush their opponents in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. Women’s Soccer player Lori Layton was hopeful. “They should win the ODAC,” she said. Teammate Casey Hendritz was more cautious, but offered sage advice. “They need to play up to their potential.” Under Coach Liam Behrens’ skillful watch, the men of Guilford Soccer will try to exceed their 6-11-1 record of last year.

Volleyball
Also starting on Sept. 1, the Women’s Volleyball team begins their 2001 campaign against Greensboro College at the Averett Tournament in Danville, Virginia. Sophomore player A.J. Robertson proclaimed, “We have an outstanding freshman class.” With 9 new freshman faces and led by Coach Chuck McCracken, the team aspires to excel beyond their 6-26 record last year.

A new and exciting year awaits us in Guilford College sports. So come on out and support your fellow Guilfordian’s at their finest. Support Guilford College sports!