Adventures in second floor English

logged commodes, cash, crap, and lettuce on second-floor English.
On Feb. 4, I and other residents of second-floor English Hall were called to a mandatory hall meeting to inform us that we all were facing fines from the Office of Campus Life of $250 for something that, by and large, was none of our faults.
All year our bathroom situation has been terrible. People constantly clog the toilets with trash bags, toilet paper – basically anything that would stop a toilet from functioning.
In addition to the constantly overflowing toilets, our hallway have seen such varied substances as lettuce, cigars and cigarettes, bottles with tobacco spit, and a half-full can of tuna, to mention a few.
Oh, we’ve gone through three new panes of glass in the windows at either end of the hall, too.
The living situation here has been pretty bad. It’s not my fault; it’s not our R.A.’s fault; it’s not the housekeeping staff’s fault.
The only person or persons at fault here are those who did this.
I know some of these things are to blame on the guys here that don’t mind living in their own filth, or lettuce, as the case may be.
But the toilets? Why would someone clog up all four toilets on his own floor? What has to be going through someone’s mind to do that?
All kinds of theories as to who did this have been thrown out, mostly relating to either athletes on this hall, or athletes on the first floor of English, which is categorically unfair to them. This just shows the knee-jerk reaction around here that if someone is an athlete, they automatically suck at life.
My problem with second-floor English doesn’t end here. The Office of Campus Life has handled this in a very poor way.
Campus Life is charging all the residents of the second floor $250 apiece because of these incidents. They’re charging us each $250 for something we wish never happened in the first place, and may not even be the product of the people who live here.
There are 29 guys living on this hall. If we all get charged $250 apiece, that’s $7250. As much as I hate the fact that anyone on the school’s staff had to deal with this by either cleaning up a mess, replacing a window, or fixing a toilet, I think $7250 may be a little on the excessive side to cover damages or hours spent on maintenance.
It’s stuff like this, both the fact that these things happened, and the way this was handled by Campus Life, that make me sincerely wish that I never again have to live in a dorm setting, especially not here on campus at Guilford, ever again.