Black History Month: A Time Of Honor, Education In Greensboro

“Black History Month is the time to celebrate the accomplishments of African-Americans all over the diaspora,” said James Shields, director of the Bonner Center for Community Service & Learning.

BHM was started in 1926 by Carter G. Woodson, originally as Negro Week. The negro life and history was to be celebrated on the second week of February.

“It is important for individuals from a non-African descent to learn more about African-American history,” said Shields.

The Multicultural Education Department at Guilford College, as well as various other campus organizations such as the Bonner Center, student clubs and classes are collaborating throughout this month to host events on campus. The MED has primarily focused on Brothers and Sisters in Blackness, a student organization on campus, The Queries of Diversity conclave and the latest Understanding Racism Workshop — held Feb. 6 in the Community Center.

Sophomore Ayellor Karbah mentioned the Understanding Racism workshop specifically.

“It is a great regulated program because people of all shapes and colors can come (share) thoughts to better understand racism and the stereotypical issues we all face today,” said Karbah.

Junior Tawanna Maryland spoke about BHM and the beauty of blackness, as well as the history that African-Americans have unde3rgone and overcome for centuries.

“I celebrated all year long, but I appreciated acknowledgment of Black History Month being an official holiday and recognition of black accomplishments,” said Maryland. “BHM is a tribute.”

Greensboro is a hotbed for diversity. Community organizing encompasses an array of groups such as the International Civil Rights Center & Museum and historically black colleges and universities, as Greensboro played a significant role during the Civil Rights Movements.

Junior Teresa Bedzigui articulated that BHM is a great month and great reminder to the African-American people. BHM is all about love and should be — in her opinion — a BHM year rather than month.

“BHM is a moment to stop talking and listen,” said Bedzigui. “It is a celebration of excellence and achievement.”

Senior De’Shauna Ottley remarked on BHM being a time when we can celebrate all the accomplishments of African-Americans over the years.

“All African-Americans are influential in their own way,” said Ottley.

Today, BHM all over the diaspora is a celebration of the independence of an ethnicity.

“Through the struggles and the hardship, it is a month to recognize all individuals who fought for our freedom,” said Karbah.

“BHM honors the contributions of African-Americans throughout United States history,” said Junior Ben Evans. “BHM should not be (confined) to a period of a month because it is