Egyptian soccer riots kill 74

Violence erupted last week after a soccer match in the Egyptian city of Port Said.  The deadly riot killed 74 and injured scores of  others in what was the bloodiest day the sport has seen in 15 years.

The match took place between Al-Masry and Al-Ahly. After Al-Masry pulled out a surprise 3-1 win, fans stormed the field looking to get a piece of the Al-Ahly fans.

The two teams are longtime rivals, but what happened on the pitch reflects the bloodshed seen in the Arab nation over the past year. The country is still reeling from a popular uprising that saw the overthrow of long-time dictator Hosni Mubarak.

Many fans present at the riots noted the police did not do enough to help quell the violence. Strong political undertones have also been also brought up as a major instigator to the riots. Many Egyptians have accused the police of letting the riots happen out of vengeance towards the Ultras — die-hard soccer fans who are bitter enemies of the police and have been among the most aggressive protestors over the last year.

The recent soccer riots were not an isolated event; in fact, just last year Masry fans attacked Ahly supporters at a soccer match.  This month’s attacks at the stadium, however, were by far the most violent to occur in over a decade.

Al-Ahly supporter Amr Khamis had his head bandaged after being attacked by an Al-Masry supporter. In an interview with CNN, Khamis criticized the police for their roles in the attacks.

“The police opened the gates separating us from the Masry fans and their hooligans attack(ed) us with everything: rocks, glass bottles, knives, swords,” said Khamis. “Some had guns. … How did the police allow them with these weapons into the bleachers?”

The Ultras are some of the most influential supporters of the club Al-Ahly, and over the past year they have been in constant conflict with the police and, more recently, with the army. Over the past year the Ultras have fought to put an end to military rule, in both the streets and the stadiums.

After the riots at the soccer match, an emergency meeting was called by Parliament. Prime Minister Kamal el-Ganzouri immediately dissolved the Egyptian soccer federation’s board.  He has called for their prosecution following the violence that erupted in the coastal city.

Soccer has long been entangled with politics in many countries around the world. Jeff Bateson, Guilford men’s soccer head coach, notes that the history of soccer is much deeper in other countries than it is here in the U.S.

“There is a lot of politics in it, and I would assume since Egypt is so politically charged at the moment that politics had a lot to do with it (the riot),” Bateson said.

The violence and tumult that has characterized much of Egypt’s recent political climate was reflected clearly in the events at the soccer match. Throughout the match rocks and bottles were thrown at the players. Tensions skyrocketed throughout the game as more and more fans banded together.

“There were organized groups in the crowds that purposely provoked the police all through the match and escalated the violence and stormed onto the field after the final whistle,” said General Marwan Mustapha of Egypt’s interior ministry in an interview with ABC News. “Our policemen tried to contain them but not engage.”

The Ultras have been considered the main instigators of the incident. Following the soccer riot, they are expected to increase in numbers and continue the “revolution.” As for now, the country hopes to push forward and recover from these tumultuous times. But with so many opposing forces in one country, peace may be hard to come by.