Turner Votipka aces it on and off the court

“Turner never wants to slow down,” said junior tennis player Blake Brown. “He’ll go from practice, to intramural basketball, to soccer.”

Junior tennis captain Turner Votipka impacts Guilford in ways no one can imagine.

Votpika said he enjoys doing all of those things and wants to continue doing them, even if it’s a lot on his plate.

“Sometimes it gets to be a little stressful,” said Votipka. “It is a lot of work, but because they are all things that I enjoy doing it becomes more than worth it.”

Votipka spends most of his time working as a resident advisor in English Hall and as a two-time tennis captain.

In his spare time, he’s the president of Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Student Athletic Advisory Committee as well as the treasurer for the College Republicans.

“The College Republicans would be a completely different group without Turner,” said sophomore Harrison Houlihan, rising president of the College Republicans. “He brings humor to the group; the meetings he attends are always filled with laughter.”

Votipka’s cherished values make him an ideal student-athlete at Guilford.

“Turner is really strong in his faith, which is something that I really look up to,” said junior Amber Weaver, a resident adviser in Milner Hall.

On the tennis court, Votipka displays sportsmanship, and on and off the court he expresses dependability and a compassion for others.

“As an RA, he gets to know you,” said Brown. “As a teammate, he

makes you want to work harder.

“And as a person, he’s always willing to help a friend out.”

Many people who work around Votipka end up becoming a friend because he is loyal and caring.

Weaver said Votipka is always lending a helping hand.

“I mentioned to him that I didn’t understand an assignment I had been assigned for one of my classes,” said Weaver. “Before I knew it, I had an email from him telling me what he thought the assignment was about and said that if I needed any help to just ask.”

Whether you need him as a friend, a teammate or a leader, he never lets you down.

Houlihan said he would not want to be heading into next year with anyone else as treasurer.

“Turner is responsible,” said Houlihan. “He keeps up to date with the expenditures.”

Even though Votipka is involved in different activities, he never slacks off. He puts 110 percent into everything he does.

“From an RA standpoint, he was always present for staff meetings and throwing his ideas out there, as well as helping to keep everyone in a good mood, since our staff meetings were early in the morning,” said Weaver.

Brown said Votipka strikes a good balance between having a good time and getting the most out of his practice.

“He can give it everything … on the court and laugh while doing it, which is a rare quality in a person.”

With so many responsibilities — playing a sport, taking leadership roles in groups and school — it’s hard to imagine anyone being able to accomplish all those things.