FCA organizes donations for children

“Do they know it’s Christmas time at all?”

Many know the song but few answer the call, excepting Guilford’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

On Nov. 18, the FCA organized a shoebox drive in the Community Center to collect supplies and toys, which will be distributed internationally to children in need by the evangelical Christian humanitarian group Samaritan’s Purse through their holiday program Operation Christmas Child.

“This is a large organization; we’re just doing our part through Guilford,” said junior tennis captain and FCA President Turner Votipka.

Donations for the FCA’s project have poured in from across the community.

“Students are doing it, parents have sent us stuff and we went out and got boxes from organizations,” said Votipka. “We have club money and student donations.”

The FCA found inspiration through the story of Jesus feeding 5,000 people with only five loaves of bread and two fish.

“He fed 5,000 people because he saw their need,” said Mike Gatton ‘13, FCA coordinator. “Yes, we want to give these children something that will meet their temporary needs, but we also want to share with them hope and the hope they can have with Christ.

“This bread they can have tonight and have for eternity.”

Accompanying the FCA was a wide array of students and non-students alike, united in a joint effort to brighten the lives of impoverished children this Christmas.

The bread, or temporary satisfaction, Gatton referenced could be seen spread across the room in the Community Center in the form of toys and school supplies for the children.

Contributors started the event by selecting one of the several dozen assorted shoeboxes on the first. Once a box was selected, they filled it with goodies from four different stations.

First, the shoeboxes were layered with a mints and butterscotch. A hygiene station was also set up with toothpaste, toothbrushes and bars of soap.

Teddy bears and other stuffed animals, dolls, and Nerf footballs were stuffed into the boxes, followed by pencils, notebooks and construction paper from the school supplies station.

“I came out to help and pack a couple of boxes,” said sophomore Dakota Rock. “I actually brought some toys, cups, notebooks and crayons.”

Everyone had fun while organizing their own packages.

“I just think it is nice we’re helping kids in need,” said a junior Ezra Fleishman.

Before wrapping the boxes a special trademark from the FCA was added, as everyone in attendance was encouraged to write an inspiring note for the child recipient. After wrapping, the boxes were sent to Operation Christmas Child.

This heartwarming event brought many people in the community together for a common goal of helping children in need.