Ratner swings for success, goes to Patriot All-America Invitational

“It was a tremendous honor to play in the Patriot All-America Invitational,” said senior Noah Ratner, golf team captain. “Not just for the golf but because the fact I was playing for a fallen soldier who died defending our freedom. (The tournament was) an experience I will never forget.”

The Patriot All-America Invitational is a holiday tournament that features the top golfers from all NCAA divisions. Ratner finished 21st, which was the highest among Division III participants.

“It is no easy task reaching this invitational,” said Ratner’s swing coach Brian Creghan. “Noah works extremely hard, which should come as no surprise. Success in golf does not come without hard work.”

This is not the first time Ratner has participated in a big-time tournament. Nearly four years ago, Ratner won the Maccabiah Golf Games, an international Jewish event held in Israel every four years. He will be traveling back to Israel this summer, competing for the U.S.

Even though Ratner has achieved so much as an individual, his proudest moments were the two Old Dominion Athletic Conference tournaments his team won.

“Noah is driven to work on his game every day,” said Bob Ratner, Noah’s father, in an email interview. “What a work ethic! He is his own harshest critic because he is always trying to get better.

“In tournament play, he never gives up, always tries his hardest to the very last shot, and is always trying to learn from each round so he can improve. He is humble about his accomplishments.”

Last year, Noah was awarded the Jack Nicklaus Award, which is given to the top golfers in all three NCAA divisions. He believes a lot of his success is owed to Guilford.

“I wanted to play college golf, and (former) Coach (Jack) Jensen was the only coach who gave me a chance,” said Noah. “I am truly grateful to him, and he will always have a special place in my heart.

“Guilford gave me a place to get a great education, play golf and create a group of friends I will be close with the rest of my life. So I would like to close this by saying, thank you to Guilford.”