New competition promotes fan support and free prizes

Is there anything better than sports and food? For some that is an easy answer, but others like Bryan Jones, coordinator of sports marketing, would beg to differ.

Jones created a program for students to win free pizza for a year by attending as many sporting events as possible.

“I went to Elon University for a soccer game a couple of weeks ago and they announced a very similar program,” said Jones. “When I put this together, it was more or less for students to have an incentive to come out to games.”

All athletic coaches received information about the new program and the Guilford Athletics Facebook page is currently blooming with details on how to participate. Students, especially athletes on sports teams, are also doing their share of getting the word around.

“I heard about this program at the athletic meeting for athletes,” said first-year football player Chris Campolieta. “I’ve told people about it and they seemed interested and excited. I’m definitely trying to get the word out there.”

The program is based on a point system. Students will be able to rack points up for each game attended. The points awarded will be greater for bigger games and games with rivalry teams. Extra points are awarded for arriving before the game as well as attending double-headers.

“I love to support our school but I will be more motivated to go to sporting events now,” said sophomore Lacrisha Kaufman.

Jones brought the idea to Sports Information Director David Walters to get his viewpoint for the new program.

“I thought it was a neat idea to help generate greater interest among our students within the athletic department,” said Walters. “He was able to reach out to local businesses to generate prizes.”

The winner who collects the most points will win the grand prize of free Papa John’s Pizza for an entire year. Several other great prizes will be awarded as well.

The second-place winner will win a $100 gift card to East Coast Wings & Grill, followed by the third-place winner with a $75 gift card to Zaxby’s. Fourth place will be awarded a two hour bowling package and fifth place will win a $50 gift card to Salsarita’s.

If that’s not enough, there will also be random drawings after each season as well as any games played against Greensboro. There is already a difference in attendance from last year due to the launch of this program.

“A lot of people come to the games now,” said sophomore soccer player Chris Gillespie.  “The program is a booster to the fan base. The players love to see people in the stands and it adds energy to the game.”

Be sure to sign in as well as sign out to get the total amount of points possible. A sheet to sign in and out will be available at the Information Center at each game.

Junior Casey Coxwell is an active participant in this program.

“I want the pizza,” said Coxwell. “I have a list of all the games and highlighted all the ones that I could attend. I also check the Guilford Buzz to see which games are double the points.”

Whether students participate in the program or not, it is always fun and exciting to grab some friends and attend a game.

“Though winning the pizza prize would be a bonus for me, I like going out to support Guilford whether we win or lose,” said first-year John Brvenik.