Men’s golf looking forward to strongest team in recent memory

“Tweet, tweet. I want my birdies all day long.”

Words of wisdom delivered to us courtesy of the Professional Golfer’s Association of America’s exclusive boy band, the Golf Boys. The Guilford men’s golf team is looking for their birdies all day long as well.

Unlike most sports on campus, there really is no true offseason for the golfers of Guilford College. Members of the team hone their skills over the summer by playing in tournaments throughout the country against some of the top amateur golfers.

Entering his third season, Head Golf Coach Corey Maggard knows the importance of the summer months, and what the time off can do for a team.

“It is a long time to try and keep a group of guys focused,” said Maggard. “But just from a time-management standpoint, it allows us to really put a lot of work in.”

These summer tournaments are vital for players who hope to compete against top golfers on the collegiate level. With the way college golf is structured, it is imperative to develop a “golf resume.”

“You compile a resume and then you send it in to tournaments and hope they send you an invite,” said Maggard.

Recently, the Quakers were ranked fifth in the preseason national poll. Indeed, there is a lot to be excited about, like the return of senior and Division III National Golfer of the Year, Noah Ratner. Although Ratner is the lone senior, the other three statistically best players, sophomores Drew Thompson, Mitch Robinette and junior Alex Wise all return. Robinette and Thompson received All-Conference accolades last year.

With so much power returning to one team, national title talks are not out of the question. First-year Ben Pinkleton competed all summer long, hoping to add even more depth to the team.

“Starting in about April, I played in about five or six tournaments,” said Pinkleton. “I think we’ve got a group of guys who can compete for a title.”

The talent on the team is clearly visible, however the intangibles that make a close-knit team may not be seen by the average observer. On an average day in the cafeteria, the golf team can always be seen sharing a laugh over lunch.

“We have great team chemistry and this could be the strongest team we’ve had since I’ve been here, on and off the course,” said Ratner.

Maggard will be the first to admit that his team “devotes all of their time to golf” and getting better. This hard-work mentality will be what gets them through the grueling golf season, including two tournaments in which they are the lone Division III institution.

Performing well in those tournaments will surely bolster the team and their hopes of winning a national championship.

“If you win some big tourneys, you get a higher ranking, then you get a chance to get an at-large bid at the end of the year if you didn’t get the automatic bid,” added Maggard.

“You can’t just want it; you have to work hard,” said Ratner.

That is what the team has been doing all summer, and will continue to do for the following months. “We’re always looking forward to the national championship,” said Maggard.