Catching up with Guilford Speedster Johnathan Smith

Crowds of people watch as a group of men position themselves into a sprinter’s stance. They are all perched like statues waiting for their marks, ready to make their own.

As a gunshot rings out, the men launch from the line all headed for the finish where either glory or defeat awaits.

This sounds all too familiar for sophomore Johnathan Smith.

The Guilford speedster has been finding much success with his top class work ethic and undeniable leadership for the Quakers.

“(Johnathan) has taken a group of sprinters under his wing and has embraced the role of leader very well,” said first year track coach Marcus Bell. “(Johnathan) is a motivator that leads by example.”

Smith finished second in the 200-meter dash and fifth in the 100-meter dash on the national level last season.

He also claimed All-American honors in both events, making him the first sprinter in Guilford College history to do so.

“Well, I try not to get big-headed when it comes to being one of the top national runners in track in Division III, said Smith. “I’m proud of my achievements thus far and I still wish to aim higher.”

Smith also holds the Quaker records for the indoor and outdoor 200-meter dash in with his fastest time being 21.64 seconds.

He also holds the 55 and 60 meter records and is only .05 seconds away from breaking the Guilford record in the outdoor 100-meter dash.

“He is a very hard-working athlete that other athletes can look up to for inspiration,” said first-year football player Daniel McFaddin. “He is in a class of his own.”

The competitive aspect of the sport is something that can make or break an athlete. For Smith he looks for solace in his teammates and coaches to push him forward.

“When people have a lot of faith in you it makes it easier to progress and get better,” said Smith. “Watching all of my teammates hit times like ten second flats (in the 100-meter dash) really motivates me to get better.”

Smith’s work ethic is considered one of the best by many of his teammates and coaches. With the work he is putting in, many believe Smith to make a name for himself beyond the collegiate level.

“‘Comet”‘(Johnathan) is a very hard worker who always gives one hundred percent at every practice to become the sprinter he desires to be,” said Coach Bell. “He aspires to compete on the elite/professional level; and if he continues on the pace he is on, ‘look out, world’”

With the college track and field outdoor season around the corner, much of the Division III world will be keeping a close eye on Smith and his sophomore season in a Guilford uniform.

“Everyone is going to have their own opinions, but if I were to choose, I would like for them to think of me as someone who has worked hard to get into the position that I am now,” said Smith.

Even with all of the hype and expectations this season, Smith stays levelheaded and ready to compete. You can anticipate this spring he will capture more All-American awards and break a few more records.