My night with Thomas Jefferson

The other night, I had a dream in which I spoke with Thomas Jefferson about America.

I talked to him for what seemed like hours, but he never spoke back.

I told him that I can’t comprehend being lied to over and over again by the media whose ideologies have blinded them to what reporting used to be. I can’t fathom how the only people who claim they know the truth are liars too.

“Was this what the Founding Fathers envisioned when they defeated the British, Tom? Did they want a polarized nation that was devoid of people who spoke the truth?”

But he just looked at me, saying nothing.

“Why won’t you answer me, Tom?”

Again, he said nothing.

“I can’t take another story of someone losing their job because it was shipped overseas. I can’t read another story of a lying politician who minces the truth because no one is going to call them on their lies.

“Tom, I’m losing my faith in American, and I don’t know what to do.

“I’m too young to be this cynical about the world, Tom.

“I’m supposed to be hopeful that everything will turn out okay because that’s what I’ve been taught all my life but I’m losing it, Tom. Please help me.

Again, he said nothing so I continued to speak.

“I envy you, Tom. I really do. You didn’t live to see the way this nation turned out. You got to witness the birth of your ideals. Me?  I fear that I am a witness to its death.

“But, when I think about the world I really know nothing, Tom.  I’m just a college kid after all. I can only fathom what dangers await me once I leave this place and I am terrified at what I might face.

“I’m afraid to speak out Tom, because I don’t know what’s out there.”

But, without Tom saying anything, a message flashed across my eyes, as plain as day.

“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”

I remember mouthing these words and then being still for a long time afterwards, contemplating what they meant.

“I struggle with this suggestion, Tom,” I said. “I want to be like you, but I’m afraid of the consequences. I‘m afraid for my future if I choose this path.”

As I spoke these words, Tom’s face broke away from mine, and he began to walk away from me. I tried to stop him, but it was futile.

I yelled at him that the last sliver of hope that I have left will not go to waste. Then I whispered that I can’t let it.

“I can’t stand by and watch the world burn anymore Tom.”

Then, I awoke, my face cold with sweat and my mind racing with what I had seen.