Taxpayers should not have to pay for convict’s sex change

Granting an inmate a sex change is like kicking a soccer ball full of cement — a reckless idea that no one should attempt. Although for some reason the consensus is seemingly different in Massachusetts.

In recent news Michelle Kosilek, formerly known as Robert, is being granted sex reassignment surgery. Kosilek was sentenced to life without parole for murdering her wife in 1990. During the trial Kosilek was diagnosed with gender identity disorder.

The kicker is that the funding for the procedure is coming from the taxpaying citizens of Massachusetts. Of all situations that would deserve funding, is a sex change for a convicted murderer really a worthy cause?

Sen. Scott Brown of Massachusetts called it “an outrageous abuse of taxpayers’ dollars” in an interview with CNN. “I look forward to common sense prevailing and the ruling being overturned.”

It has to be remembered how unwilling state and federal governments are to help citizens of their states and the nation to pay for medical procedures.

It is understandable that Kosilek needs help for the gender identity disorder that she suffers from, and after all, inmates that suffer from this disorder are 13 times more likely to be sexually assaulted; however, this does not necessarily mean sexual assault is an imminent danger.

What makes Kosilek privileged enough to essentially choose her own fate after murdering her wife? Is that justice being served?

“People sentenced to life in prison should receive very little, as far as privileges are concerned,” said junior Jake Hopkins. “Especially when these privileges are using the money of state taxpayers.”

Imagine the family of Kosilek’s wife having to pay for the sex reassignment surgery for the woman who murdered their relative.
Does that sound like an ideal situation?
No, it sounds like the American legal system trying to pass off an image of fairness, instead of promoting the fundamental value of justice.

The niece of the victim, Susan Ohannessian, agrees.

“I was very, very angry at the verdict,” said Ohannessian in an interview with NECN. “I had absolutely no idea it was coming.”

Many people, who have followed the case, including myself, fail to realize what purpose there is to perform a costly operation on an inmate. Protection? Happiness?

The idea that everyone is entitled to their individual rights is somewhat of a cornerstone of American law. However, I feel there is a difference between ensuring someone’s rights and avoiding criticism of the legal system.

Yes, Kosilek is entitled to her human rights, but to grant a sex change operation for someone who is already facing life in prison is absurd. The government might as well give her a condo in South Beach and a fully-expunged record.

There are certain liberties that accompany being a law abiding-citizen, and there are certain privileges that are dismissed once we as citizens no longer abide by the law. Michelle Kosilek lost those privileges once she murdered her wife.

That is a fact.

This case is an embarrassment and should be reversed — unless we want to become a nation that pays for plastic surgery and sex-change operations for convicted murderers and felons.