Bill Bryson shares his wit and wisdom

Famous travel writer Bill Bryson visited Greensboro’s War Memorial Auditorium on Tuesday, Nov. 11, as a part of the Bryan Series.

“It always makes me feel good when people actually know who I am,” Bryson jokingly told the audience, just moments after taking the stage. Best known for his quirky tales like “The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid” and “A Walk in The Woods,” Bryson came to share his peculiar brand of self-effacing observational humor.

“We knew Bill Bryson would make people laugh,” said Ty Buckner, director of Guilford College’s department of communications and marketing. “We want to have speakers visit who have the ability to connect to students.”

The Bryan series began as a campus- based program. The lecture series aims to bring thought provoking and eye- opening speakers to Guilford College and the community at large. The series was held in Dana Auditorium until 2005 when the program expanded its size and visibility, and moved to the War Memorial Auditorium at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.

Before his appearance at the Coliseum, students interested in English and Environmental Sciences were treated to a more intimate meeting with the world-renowned writer in the Community Center on campus.  About 40 students attended the session.

“I think it’s really valuable for students to get to interact with and talk to a working writer,” said Jim Hood, associate professor of English.

Bryson answered numerous questions, navigating effortlessly from subject to subject.

Many students wanted to talk about a career in writing, while some enjoyed being able to have a leisurely conversation about hiking with Bryson.

“I got ‘A Walk in the Woods,’ and was reading it before Bill Bryson came to Guilford,” said senior C.J. Green. “The book was hilarious, so I wanted to make sure to go see him speak.”

Green was struck by Bryson’s relaxed, affable personality.

“He felt like someone you could just sit there and chat with,” he said.

Later, at the Bryan Series event, people came from all over Greensboro to hear Bryson tell his favorite stories, like his bear story from “A Walk In the Woods.” and read passages from a selection of works in his extensive repertoire. Over the course of the 90-minute event, Bryson shared clever anecdotes and answered questions about his personal life, and his career as well.

“I was thoroughly entertained,” said Pollie Studley, a Bryan Series subscriber. “I enjoyed hearing him read passages from his books, and I didn’t think I would like that because I’ve already read them, but I really enjoyed hearing him read it to me, and it was even funnier in his own voice,”

Hood shared Studley’s sentiments about Bryson.

“His voice on the page is very bold, but his actual physical voice is kind of muted, so it was an interesting contrast,” said Hood. “He was very impressive to just be talking right out of his head, but I think my favorite part of both events was just the kind of warm, genial attitude he portrayed.”

One common theme which seemed to run through both the smaller student session and the larger Bryan Series event, was the idea of ‘home.” During the closing question-and-answer session, Bryson was asked to describe his favorite place to visit as a travel writer.

Bryson wowed the audience with his answer.

“Out of all the places I’ve been, home is still my favorite place to be,” said Bryson.

When asked to define “home” for the audience, Bryson responded simply.

“Home is where my family and the people that I love are.”