Bryan series: Ballard speaks on oceanography

Robert Ballard always wanted to be Captain Nemo when he grew up.

“I think I pulled it off,” said a grinning Ballard to his audience at Guilford College’s second Bryan Series event on Nov. 19.

As a world-famous deep-sea explorer, Ballard is best known for his historic discoveries of hydrothermal vents, the RMS Titanic wreckage and the German battleship Bismarck.

During his long career he conducted over 120 deep-sea expeditions using the latest in exploration technology.

Ballard is also a pioneer in the early use of deep-diving submarines.

President and Professor of Political Science Kent Chabotar introduced Ballard and focused on his discovery of Titanic.

“No one knew exactly where it had sunk until Dr. Ballard discovered the wreckage two miles down in 1985,” said Chabotar.

Ballard charmed the crowd the moment he took the stage with facts about his background.

“My family lived in Guilford for 200 years as Quakers,” said Ballard. “Are there any Ballards out there tonight?”

While no one claimed to be related to him, Ballard connected with everyone by explaining his exploration techniques with humor.

“Now, I know this is a Quaker college,” said Ballard as he explained his Black Sea Project and discovery of a trading ship from 500 B.C. “But if you were on a ship that had 5,000 bottles of wine on it, what would you do on the passage to Rome?”

The presentation encompassed the wide gamut of Ballard’s experiences in oceanography.

“I liked how I got both a science lesson and a history lesson all at once,” said sophomore attendee Lucas Perez-Leahy.

Despite the easygoing atmosphere Ballard created in the auditorium, his presentation sparked some questions.

“He sees the ocean as some great resource,” said first-year attendee Jade Glore. “That surprised me, because he had this great respect for nature and he talked about underwater like it was this wonderful place but he kind of wants to destroy it.”

According to the Guilford College Bryan Series Facebook page, a poll of over 400 subscribers named the event as the second most popular since they began surveying in 2009.

Ballard’s talk inspired young people to challenge themselves in whatever field they choose.

“Life knocks you down, and passion gets you back up,” said Ballard.

In 1989, Ballard founded the JASON Project, a program designed to excite and engage middle school students in science and technology. Ballard began the JASON Project in response to the thousands of letters he received from students following his discovery of Titanic, and he is still involved in the project today.

“It was impressive that someone his age is still so focused on the education of young people,” said Perez-Leahy.

The best explanation for Ballard’s consistent vigor is his passion for exploration.

“I like to say that my greatest discovery is the one I’m about to make,” said Ballard.

[photomosaic nggid=178]