Budget cuts require layoffs

As you enter Campus Life and make your way to the back of the office, you will see one door closed without a single light on in the room. The name plate reads: Tammy Alt.

Last year, when the college was facing a $2 million shortfall due to federal and state cuts, a series of plans were made to cut faculty and staff over the next two years. Former Associate Dean of Students Tammy Alt was laid off earlier this month due to budget cuts.

“This had nothing to do with Tammy’s performance but (was) rather all about budget cutting,” said Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Aaron Fetrow. “It was a position identified by me a year and a half ago. If it came to needing to cut budgets, eventually one of the last positions I would move on would be an associate dean because I have two.”

Alt’s duties included enrollment management, First-year Experience lab instruction and a retention and withdrawal initiative.

“I had Tammy as my FYE lab teacher, and she helped us transition into freshman year by arming us with the knowledge we needed about Guilford and college life in general,” said first-year Morgan Rudd in an email interview. “She impacted our whole class in a positive way. I will miss Tammy. I already do.”

Senior Lydia Rain also had Alt as her FYE lab teacher and has worked at the front desk of Campus Life for two years.

“It’s sad when students come in and ask for her, and I have to tell them that she no longer works here,” said Rain. “She was not only wonderful but a big support system for a lot of students.”

Associate Dean of Students Jen Agor will be taking over the retention and withdrawal process.

“Tammy was really fun to work with and had great relationships with students,” said Agor. “She went to hospitals to see students, talked to parents and really made the extra effort of making time for students when they needed her.”
Sophomore Olivia Tibbs experienced firsthand just how caring and passionate Alt is about her students.

“Tammy is the sweetest woman you’ll ever meet, and I can’t believe she is gone,” said Tibbs. “When I was in the ER, she personally called my mom to check up and on. Nobody else did that.”
Colleagues and friends of Alt had nothing but great things to say about her.

“Tammy is smart, caring, collaborative, engaging and thoughtful,” said Assistant Academic Dean for Advising and Academic Support Barbara Boyette in an email interview. “Tammy was my retention partner and would jump at the chance to discuss issues and help make Guilford a better place.”

Assistant Dean of Career and Community Learning Alan Mueller enjoyed collaborating with Alt and took notice of her passion for the success of Guilford students.

“I appreciated Tammy’s advocacy and ability to bring conversations about policy and programs back down to the level of how something might directly impact a student,” said Mueller. “It is a valuable perspective.”

Though budget cuts will continue, Fetrow does not anticipate any further reductions of staff in Campus Life.