Bryan Series: There will be no war tonight

When you see a Republican and a Democrat on stage together, you expect war. However, the Bryan Series bipartisan discussion between former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush turned out to be surprisingly civil.

Guilford hosted the third Bryan Series presentation of the 2012–13 season on March 28. The event featured Bush and Bradley in a conversation focused on current political issues moderated by Gwen Ifill, PBS News Hour senior correspondent and moderator of the 2004 and 2008 Vice Presidential debates. This event replaced the original program with Caroline Kennedy, who canceled due to conflicting commitments.

The presentation was specifically designed to be a civil bipartisan discussion.

“Anyone looking for a nasty debate will be sorely disappointed,” said Associate Vice President for Communications and Marketing Ty Buckner before the event.

His prediction turned out to be accurate.

Hot-button issues such as foreign policy, immigration, national debt and political change were all discussed. However, the primary issue addressed was the deep societal divide between Democrats and Republicans.

“We can associate with whoever we want, and we’re increasingly associating ourselves with people who agree with the things that we believe in,” said Bush. “And politically, we’re doing the same.”

Ifill agreed with Bush’s comment.

“From morning until night you can watch (news programs) with only the point of view you agree with,” said Ifill.

Also on the table for discussion were financial contributions in politics.

“One of the things that contributes to deadlock is the role of money in Washington,” said Bradley. “Courtesy of the Supreme Court, there are really no limits on the amount of money that can be spent.”

Continuous humor from both sides kept the debate from becoming an angry attack on the other party. The speakers poked fun at both themselves and the difficult subject matter.

Commenting on the onstage lighting, Bradley quipped, “I am fundamentally disoriented when I can’t see an audience because it makes me feel like I’m playing Atlantic City, and I should be singing.”

Ifill ended the event by reading a question from the audience asking for the presenters’ picks in the NCAA basketball final. This allowed the evening to end on a positive note, talking about something less serious than politics.

Those who attended the event appreciated the efforts to remain civil.

“It was very enlightening that they both said what they thought but in a respectful way,” said attendee Rhonda Prior. “If people would continue to do that, we might be able to make some progress.”

“I would say that we need to do more of this debate-style (program), where you have a heavyweight on one side and a heavyweight on the other,” said a man who wished to be identified only as an interested Greensboro citizen. “I think it’s a good format. I can see this being on television.”

While the discussion was a positive one, some believe it will not make much of an impact on America’s political landscape.

“At best, perhaps, the audience gets to see two different men from two different parties discussing common ground,” said Associate Professor of Political Science Ken Gilmore.

Overall, the evening was a positive one, as two usually warring factions put aside their differences and addressed some of the United State’s biggest political problems.

“We certainly have the capability (to improve politics in America), and if we have it, I think many of our problems will begin to change,” said Bush.

[photomosaic nggid=108]