Greensboro task force for safer clubs

On Friday, Feb. 2, around 2:30 a.m., two men were shot and injured at Greensboro’s Club Inferno, at 212 S. Elm St., according to the News and Record.
The 22- and 23-year-old gunshot victims were taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries. Police gave no motive for the shooting and believe neither victim was the intended target.
Shooter Micaiss Oshea Goddard, 22, was arrested and charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count each of carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm within the city limits, according to the News and Record. He is now in jail with a $75,000 bond.
In response to this incident, District 3 City Councilman Zack Matheny is leading a three-man task force to come up with new proposals for ways to make downtown Greensboro safer. These proposals will include new safety regulations for all businesses that serve alcohol late at night.

“Business owners, mostly downtown, met with me a few years ago and laid out some ideas on safety and their needs,” Matheny told The Guilfordian. “In addition, repeatedly, I receive feedback from citizens about public safety, again, mostly regarding downtown and their fears. The task force was created recently to make a more formal meeting in determining future steps.”

A meeting will be held at the end of February to discuss their proposal.

One of the task force’s ideas is to implement a three-strikes rule for Greensboro businesses.

“There would be a list of major Class I offenses,” Matheny told the News and Record. “The category would include shootings, stabbings and serious assaults. They’d have three strikes before it goes into effect.”

After three strikes, the business would be closed.

Since many Guilford students spend their weekends downtown, these new regulations could have a direct affect on student safety.

“Businesses have a responsibility to make every effort to have a safe place for their patrons, and if they are not doing that, then should be held responsible,” said Director of Public Safety Ron Stowe.
Senior Brittany Moore agrees that business owners should be held accountable.

“If you have a business … and you know there is going to be alcohol involved, I feel like you should go the extra mile to provide security,” said Moore.

The debate over stricter safety regulations is far from new. Last Friday’s incident merely added to the push for new rules.

However, this also brings up the concern that the new regulations will be too invasive.

“I’ve been to clubs in other cities and been searched, which makes me feel violated,” said junior Jodie Geddes.

“Figuring out the balance between privacy right and community security is the key,” said Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Aaron Fetrow. “How much privacy are you willing to give up to make sure you are safe?”

According to the News and Record, Greensboro business owners have criticized the proposal, claiming it is “confusing, overly broad and unnecessary.”

Matheny believes the proposed regulations will be mutually beneficial in the end.

“If citizens feel safer because they feel business owners and our police department are working together, then they will patronize more business thus the businesses increase profits,” Matheny told The Guilfordian.

“Everybody wins.”