CCE SGA presidential impeachment

Impeachment in a Guilford organization is difficult to believe, but it can happen.

Guilford’s Student Government Association in the Center for Continuing Education recently impeached their president Yvette Bailey from office and replaced her with then-Vice President Victor Lopez.

Bailey was removed from office via a historical nine to two vote of the SGA board. Never in the history of the SGA has an officer been forced out of office.

“While the CCE SGA board is grateful for Yvette’s service and dedication to the CCE SGA, leadership problems led to miscommunication and some conflict among board members,” said Lopez. “Yvette’s leadership did not resonate with the community she was elected to lead, and it was best for the organization that she was removed.”
Associate Vice President and CCE Dean Rita Serotkin echoed this sentiment.

“Some groups prefer a more consensus-based style of leadership, with all participating on an equal basis … and others prefer a strong, charismatic leader who makes decisions and then directs the members accordingly,” said Serotkin.

“As a result, (the board) wanted to be a part of a more cooperative team than this year’s presidential leadership style allowed for.”

SGA board members also commented on the challenges the group faced in the past.

“I think the change was difficult for the board and officers … but it was necessary,” said Career Counselor and SGA Faculty Advisor Vivian Lutian.

Yvette Bailey was interviewed in regards to the impeachment via email.

“I had a campaign slogan which said, ‘Are You Thirsty for Change?’” said Bailey. “This meant I was planning on doing things differently than in the past … Unfortunately, there were differences between myself and other CCE SGA members that could not be resolved, resulting in the end of my tenure as president.”

All those interviewed declined to share further details of the reasons for impeachment.

The SGA will be filling the vacant Vice President and Secretary positions, and plans to work on smoothing out lingering internal issues.

“We will take a strong look at our constitution and make sure that loopholes are filled,” said Lopez. “Making sure that these student events are accomplished has been my top priority and the priority of the board.”

Despite a difficult start to the semester, Lopez said that he and the rest of the board are excited for new opportunities to serve the community.

“I feel a kind of positive energy surrounding this change,” said Lopez. “We are encouraging anyone who wants to be involved to come by Hendricks. Their voices are important.”