The Blind Tiger: great community and music

Courtesty of Eli Tuchler
Greensboro-based Julian Sizemore Band performed their Southern soul and blues rock music at The Blind Tiger on Saturday, Feb. 6.

The stage lights, creating an emerald glow, illuminated the assortment of instruments — keyboards, six-strings, bass guitars, and a ruby-colored drum kit — that would soon welcome the musicians into their domain.

This scene greeted all attendees to The Blind Tiger, a Greensboro live music venue. Located at 1819 Spring Garden Street, The Blind Tiger has 27 and a half years of participating in the Greensboro music scene under its belt.

Just as the instruments welcomed the musicians onto the mossy stage, you will be welcomed at The Blind Tiger. They encourage you to, as the information page of their website reads, “Come join the family.”

“The Blind Tiger does a really good job at fostering a sense of inclusiveness … people are going to welcome you with open arms,” said Lisa Koenigshofer, a UNCG senior and regular attendee of shows at The Blind Tiger.

People will welcome you immediately unless, of course, they are hula hooping on the dance floor, in which case they will certainly welcome you after their turn. If you are into hooping or you would like to give it a shot, The Blind Tiger is the place to be.

Although the term “blind tiger” is a prohibition term signifying a speakeasy, The Blind Tiger focuses on sponsoring live music and supporting community.

“That’s what we’re here for… to bring good music to (college students),” said Don “Doc” Beck, co-owner of The Blind Tiger. “I just want to let (Guilford students) know that we’re here… and that they can come.”

From blues and funk to jam and bluegrass, there is something for everyone at The Blind Tiger. On the night of Feb. 6, Groove Fetish and The Julian Sizemore Band performed.

Groove Fetish, a quintet from Wilmington, N.C., is a jam band that is heavily influenced by both soul and funk. Winning Leeway’s Home Grown Music Network’s Best Studio Album by fan vote in 2015 for their album “Between Earth & Outer Space,” Groove Fetish’s broad span of inspirations is evident through their complete and diverse sound.

After playing eight original songs, they turned the stage over to the headliner, The Julian Sizemore Band.

Based in Greensboro, The Julian Sizemore Band has been together for all of about one and a half months. Its members come from other local bands like The Mantras and The Family, although these bands still play together, and are well-respected members of the Greensboro community.

“Julian Sizemore Band (plays) Southern soul and blues rock,” said Julian Sizemore, founder and keyboardist.

They played the album “OKOBOJI” in its entirety. Sizemore released the album in September 2013.

Two mountains of stacked speakers, framing the stage on both sides, made it seem like a great throne. While musicians in Greensboro are as respected as royalty, they do not see themselves as any better than anyone else. They are each just another member of Greensboro’s and The Blind Tiger’s family.

This mutual respect promotes the encouragement of their friends and fellow musicians.

“(Greensboro) is not a big enough music scene to make it competitive… we (Greensboro’s musicians) support each other,” said Brent Vaughn, the percussionist for The Mantras, a Greensboro-based “funk-rock” band, of which Sizemore is a member.

If you enjoy live music, dancing, good company or even hula hooping, The Blind Tiger is the place for you.