Pagan Mysticism Club: where the magic happens

Screaming winds. A crackling fire. Welcoming people. Just a hint of magic. Within the Hut, the Pagan Mysticism Club explores ancient ideologies and how they affect the contemporary world.
Pagan is a broad term, and the club hosts a catalogue of different beliefs. Some find truth in ancient practices similar to those of the Greeks or Celts, though this is often more metaphorical than literal, while others ally themselves with representations of the natural world. Despite these differences, pagans share a strong relationship with both the physical world and the spiritual and often discuss the ties between the two.
“I am pagan,” said junior Emily Eadie. “I’m not as knowledgeable about it as I would like to be. Since there are so many points of view and there are so many aspects that can be personalized, there is certainly a lot to learn.”
“Most of our members in the past have identified with some sort Celtic or Norse pantheon,” said club president and senior Emily Stamey. “We’ve had people who practiced Egyptian or Greek pantheons, people who are broader. We have a few Wiccans. (Pagan) is a self-identifying thing.”
Wicca is a modern pagan religion based on the idea of dualism. Often considered “modern witchcraft,” Wicca recognizes both a god and a goddess as representations of the world. Like all pagan religions, Wicca claims no central authority and beliefs vary between individuals.
The club does not boast a large membership, but what the club does have is a close knit circle of friends ready to accept anyone who comes their way.
“Meetings usually have some sort of topic, and we often have little sidetracks where people talk about geeky, random things,” said Stamey.
Stamey has been involved with the club since 2009 and has found the experience fulfilling.
“I enjoyed the people, and I found the topics interesting,” said Stamey. “I kind of inherited the club after everyone graduated.”
As it is in most religions, festivals are important. The Pagan Mysticism Club often plans campus wide events and has become well known for their bonfires. Planning for a spring bonfire is in the works, as well as an Ostara celebration, a precursor to Easter.
“We like to dispel the negative perceptions of pagans or paganism,” said Stamey. “We’re not evil, satanic or devil-worshipping. Though some pagans are, we are not.”
The Pagan Mysticism Club is hardly a new organization. In fact, the club has been open and active at Guilford College for over 20 years.
“The club has taken on different forms depending on student interest,” said Max Carter, director of the Friends Center and campus ministry coordinator. “It’s student led. There’s not a faculty advisor for it.
“They’ve always been wonderful citizens of Guilford. In whatever (branch) they are, whether it is Wiccan, goddess-centered, earth-centered. It’s an organization that embraces all of them. It’s been wonderful to see their inclusivity to various traditions within the pagan, Wiccan, pre-Christian, earth-based spiritualties, and a lot of their values are very consistent with the values of Guilford.”