Guilford’s taste in music is just downright eclectic

Music could not occupy a more important role for Guilford.

Shows at the Greenleaf and in downtown Greensboro, Guilford’s radio station WQFS, music department performances and even impromptu jam sessions not only entertain students but also bring them closer together.

“Sharing music can be a method of transferring ideas that are not easily conveyed through speech,” said senior Bonnie Hardie, a piano major, in an email interview.

Joshua Rodriguez, a junior music major who listens to everything from rap to bluegrass, tunes in to local artists at Guilford and jams on the viola.

“There are tons of people I have connections with musically,” said Rodriguez.

When a new student at Guilford was playing her fiddle outside, Rodriguez stopped and exchanged some tunes, getting to know her because of a shared interest in fiddle music.

Known for its eclectic interests, Guilford does not fall short when it comes to music. Indie rock, metal, electronic, opera, lo-fi, alternative hip-hop, bluegrass and rap all come up in conversations about music on campus, and many stress that they listen to multiple genres.

“I kind of listen to everything, actually,” commented senior Caroline Loftus.

By tuning into WQFS at 90.9 FM, listeners can enjoy the many kinds of popular music at Guilford, including both commercial music and more independent and local music.

“As unique as Guilford is, there is such a range of interests musically,” said junior Kate Schwab, WQFS general manager.

A lot of people enjoy “really high-energy music like dubstep,” Schwab added.  “(People like) what’s going to be the most fun to listen to. (At the same time,) we try to get as many local artists played as possible.” This way, listeners have access to the best of both worlds.

“What blew me away most about starting to listen to WQFS is how diverse it is,” said Kami Rowan, assistant professor of music and WQFS station manager. “I can’t think of a genre that’s not really covered.”

“If you hear music, go and check it out, and be adventurous,” said sophomore Camille Lindsley, a manager at WQFS and a member of the Greenleaf’s events committee.

As for the future of music on campus, Kami has noticed this trend: “I see all the boundaries of genres fading … I think we’re going to have less of those boundaries (in the future).”

In the past, people listened to music more within specific categories, according to Kami. Now, “you’ll hear a much broader mix of genres than you used to hear, so that’s exciting!”

Interested in how to become more active in Guilford’s musical scene? There’s a WQFS DJ interest meeting at 7:30 p.m. on Sun., Feb. 10 in the Founders Upstairs Gallery.

If DJing doesn’t interest you, check out the events booked around Guilford, like Mykki Blanco’s March 26 concert at Glenwood Coffee & Books or the show featuring Cop Problem, Votnut, Demands and Retina at the Greenleaf on Feb. 15.