Outdoors Club hikes, climbs, camps and more

Would indoor rock climbing on a Friday afternoon interest you? Could you picture yourself skiing down mountain slopes in Boone, N.C., and enjoying a relaxing night in a log cabin?

Would you be more interested if you could participate in these activities for free?

The Outdoors Club is a great way to enjoy yourself, meet new friends and expand your horizons, all while not having to worry if your wallet can afford it.

“We are able to fund all trips from the money we receive from Senate,” said junior Steven Johnson, Outdoors Club president. “I run the meetings as well as book camp sites, help organize transportation, buy the food for the trips and make sure everyone has equipment.”

If you want to know what trip is happening next or have a great idea for a trip in mind, make your way upstairs to Founders any Tuesday night at 7 p.m. You will have a chance to sign up for the email list, suggest ideas or trips, and find out what events are coming up.

“It’s a great way for students with common interest to come together,” said junior Jordan Adams, Outdoors Club secretary. “You’re guaranteed to have a good time since everything is already paid for and the equipment is supplied.”

The Outdoors Club has already been on the move and just experienced two great trips that were deemed a success. The students had fun camping out on the beach for a weekend as well as visiting Raven Rock State Park along the Cape Fear River.

Rock climbing is another prominent club activity that is held every Friday afternoon at Tumblebee Ultimate Gym.

“I’ve been rock climbing every Friday so far, and I love it,” said first-year Nina Troy. “It’s a great way to unwind after a tough week.”

The club also hopes to sponsor backpacking trips, day hikes, survival and outdoor lessons and a fun-filled weekend of skiing in the mountains of Boone, N.C.

The club aims to hold the Boone ski trip during the spring. Students will ski and hike all weekend long, and these rigorous activities will be followed by relaxation in a cabin with two hot tubs.

“The Outdoors Club has enabled me to make new friends and explore the natural beauty of North Carolina,” said junior Fhalyshia Orians, Outdoors Club treasurer. “It provides a very nice short-term vacation from the stress of classes and homework.”

While providing many trips and activities, the club also volunteers to give back to the community. Volunteer acts consist of sponsoring service projects such as woods clean-ups and campus clean-ups.

The Outdoors Club is excited for this year and hopes to attract new members.

“I really hope people can get more involved in the Outdoors Club,” said Adams. “There’s no experience required to become a member — everyone is welcome.”