Brand-new look energizes Multicultural Resource Center

The Multicultural Education Department has a rich and meaningful history. Another year of learning, support and enrichment will come from King Hall and reverberate throughout campus and the Greensboro community.

A new look greets those who visit the MED; King 127 is now the Multicultural Resource Center and is available for events, presentations and workshops related to multiculturalism, in addition to serving as a community space. Come check out the new couches and fabulous wall decor.

A new space is only the beginning, though; the MED also boasts new staff and programming. Jada Drew, Africana community coordinator, and Jorge Zeballos, Latino community program coordinator, share interim director roles. Drew manages educational initiatives and community partnerships, and Zeballos leads efforts in diversity training and development.

“I feel all of these changes will result in a burst of energy and activity from our department that will have a positive impact this academic year and beyond,” Zeballos said.

The department has two graduate students working as community organizers. Bevelyn Ukah ‘10 is back on campus to further the work that she began as an undergraduate, and Nicholas Cream works alongside her in the MED.

“I am very excited about advising students because, from my own experience as a Guilford grad, it is really important for community that students seek out and receive advocacy,” Ukah said.

Additionally, the office is hiring a new LGBTQA Community Coordinator. The  MED‘s work is enhanced by the engaged, creative and skillful Student Ambassadors.

“I was looking for ways to get involved on campus and the MED felt like home,” said first-year and Student Ambassador Teresa Bedzigui. “When I found out there were ways for students to get involved and help out, I knew that‘s where I wanted to be for the next year and hopefully, the next four years.”

The MED has traditionally served to represent, support and advise students from different backgrounds such as gender, race, class, sexuality and religious affiliation — especially those groups which have been historically marginalized. Although culture is defined in many different ways, everyone has their own cultural beliefs that govern their decisions. Because of this, everyone in the MED understands and appreciates the importance of working with all members of the community.

As this year unfolds, there are many scheduled events relating to multiculturalism on campus. This year marks the 50th anniversary of integration on campus and brings a series of events entitled “Journeys in Blackness.” This phrase comes from “Journey into Blackness,” the title given to programming for Black History Month. Keep an eye out for different events throughout the year to celebrate this important time in Guilford and Greensboro history.

W.E.B. DuBois once wrote, “The problem of the 20th century is the color line.” The core issue of the 21st century may very well be multiculturalism. Though the term may be defined differently, it is certainly important to understand the ways in which different cultures interact and connect. Students from different backgrounds may view the world differently, but everyone can attempt to understand another perspective.

As the work of the MED spans across campus and into the Greensboro community, the office urges everyone, no matter your major, your work or your hometown, to think about multiculturalism and how it impacts you on a daily basis. This office is here to do this work everyday, but it must be done holistically, inclusively and in community if we are to embody and live out our values.