Design Archives Emporium: where vintage, handmade, and local collide

As I walked through the front door of Design Archives Emporium, a shop located on South Elm Street in downtown Greensboro, I felt as though I had just stepped into a time machine. Surrounded by vintage merchandise ranging from the 1920s to the 1990s, this shop resembled a museum of twentieth century artifacts.

Design Archives Emporium opened its doors to the public in 2001. For the past 13 years, shop owner Kit Rodenbough has committed to providing customers with authentic vintage, handmade, and local items.

Nearly seventy local vendors provide the merchandise for this shop. The stores mission requires that vendors emphasize vintage or handmade items to reassure every product is unique and one-of-a-kind.

Several vendors sell upcycled clothing, which essentially consists of re-creating a vintage item so that it’s more likely to be sold. Upcycling typically includes methods such as bleaching, corrective stitching, or patchwork.

Don’t worry men; Design Archives Emporium doesn’t only cater towards women. There are plenty of vendors that sell men’s clothing, so feel free peruse through the racks of flannel shirts, military coats, and leather jackets.

In addition to selling clothes, vendors also sell accessories such as shoes, jewelry, hats, scarves, and sunglasses. Scattered throughout the store, you will find vintage books, cameras, vinyl records, and knick-knacks.

Before you commit to shopping here, be prepared to empty your wallet. Although, keep in mind that every purchase supports a local business.

Due to the quality and age of these items, prices are fairly high. Shirts are typically sold at around twenty dollars, dresses at around forty dollars, and coats at around seventy dollars.

At Design Archives Emporium, you will find locally crafted designs cultivated with customers in mind. Purchasing from this shop means committing to your community by reducing your carbon footprint and joining local businesses in the fight against corporate greed.