Paterno Fired by Penn State University

Paterno and his wife on their front porch as they answer questions from the press (The Patriot News)

In the wake of a news story that has filled the headlines and disgusted many, Penn State University has decided to fire Head Football Coach Joe Paterno

Paterno, 84, has been fired by the university amid allegations that former defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky, sexually molested several young boys. School president Graham Spanier has also been fired in connection with the incidents.

“I am disappointed with the Board of Trustees’ decision, but I have to accept it,” said Paterno. “A tragedy occurred, and we all have to have patience to let the legal process proceed.”

The Penn State Board of Trustees, speaking through vice chairman John Surma, announced the vote to fire Paterno was unanimous. Fifteen minutes prior to the press conference announcing the firing, Paterno received a sealed envelope with a phone number in it. He was told to call the number and when he did, the board member on the other end of the phone call told him simply, “You are relieved of your duties.”

Penn State trustee Barry Robinson stated, “There are consequences to every action. Not everyone will necessarily be pleased, but we have to do look to the greater good of the university. “

Tom Bradley, in his thirty-third season with the university has been named interim head coach for the remainder of season.

“I take this job with very mixed emotions,” said Bradley. “The football part, we’ll get working on that right away. For now, you should know our team’s thoughts and prayers are with those children and their families. “

Paterno has stated that he “plans to clarify” what assistant coach, Mike McQueary, who was a graduate assistant at the time of the alleged incident and remains on the coaching staff to this date, told him in 2002 as soon as Thursday afternoon. He further stated that he “vaguely” remembers being told of  some “fondling”  or “touching” or “horsing around” with some young men by Sandusky, but nothing more specific or graphic. Earlier on Wednesday afternoon, Paterno had announced his retirement effective at the end of the season, before receiving the news later in the evening of his firing.

On Friday afternoon, new university president Rod Erickson, held a press conference to announce that assistant coach Micke McQueary would be placed on paid leave and would not be allowed on the sidelines for Saturday’s game against Nebraska. He reiterated  that the leave was to be for an “indefinite” amount of time and could change upon further investigation by the university and it’s outside team of investigators. 

“We will revisit all standards and programs to ensure that they meet not only the law, but Penn State standards,” said Erickson. “To oversee this effort I will appoint an ethics officer, that will report directly to me…never again should anyone at Penn State, regardless of their position, feel scared to do the right thing.”

This story continues to develop.