Quakers Take on Averett @Armfield

%28Zach+Morgan%29
(Zach Morgan)

When a team and coaching staff are young, there will be growing pains which will cause them to endure ups and downs during a season. But as a team experiences those growing pains they also will hope to learn and mature. The Quakers find themselves in the midst of those pains as they prepare for their September, 17, 2011 game against the Averett Cougars.

Following the disappointing loss to Methodist last week I questioned Head Coach Chris Rusiewicz about the loss and the preparation of the upcoming game. 

In a game that was tight at the half (17-8) and looked to be a defensive battle down the stretch, Methodist caused some turnovers and pulled away in the second half. The Quakers had more than a few opportunities to cross the end zone but faltered, causing the offense they faced to be able to grind the game out on the ground.                    

“The fourth quarter was played with a lot of effort…  fatigue was not a factor,” said Rusiewicz. “We just can not continue to turn the ball over, especially when we are putting ourselves in positions to put points on the board.

The 40-22 final score did not indicate exactly how close the game actually was. You subtract the five turnovers that led to 20 Monarch points and you see the difference-maker in the game. 

“We had to face adversity and we will learn how to defeat it from this game,” said Rusiewicz. “I feel when facing adversity, it is with faith or fear. We will learn to face all adverse situations with faith and belief, and not fear. I told the guys they are not allowed to get down until I do…  I will never get down.”

Mental mistakes, sloppy play and those growing pains will rear their ugly head from time to time. But, this team is one that will continue to use those issues as building blocks.

“The team will build on this loss through the understanding that all 11 players on the field need to do their assignment and not make up for someone else’s mistake,” said Rusiewicz. “We will learn about competition as we will compete with each other this week to see who will play in our home opener.”

That home opener will be against the Averett Cougars at Armfield Athletic Field, September 17, 2011 at 7 p.m. Averett, having scored only 16 points this season in two games, will look to rely heavily on the services of first-year RB Ke’Von White (3.4 rypg-102.0 total all-purpose ypg) on offense. Defensively the Cougars will be led by Isaac Green (11 solo tackles-6 assists) and Stefan Varner (11 solo tackles-6 assists). 

Averett leads the yearly series 6-1, taking the last three wins, which Guilford looks to change in tonight’s matchup. The Quakers also look to tie the series at Armfield, at 2-2 this evening. Averett, thus far in the young season is 0-2 versus the ODAC, after finishing 2-1 last season, and is 8-9 all-time versus the conference. 

Averett at Guilford at 7pm at Armfield Athletic Field. Tailgating begins at 4pm in the parking lot between Dana Auditorium and Armfield. Come out and enjoy the camaraderie of Guilford fans and then fill the stadium to watch the Quakers battle the Cougars. 

Support your Quaker teams.