Student assaulted in Guilford woods

On Friday, April 8 the Office of Public Safety received a report that a student was assaulted and robbed in the Guilford College woods.

“The student was injured, but not seriously injured,” said Director of Public Safety Ron Stowe. “The Greensboro Police were called and will continue to follow up with that investigation.”

This is the second reported incident of violence on Guilford’s campus within a month’s time.

“There is no evidence that this incident is related to the stabbing that took place over Serendipity weekend in either description or circumstance,” said Stowe.

For both the Office of Campus Life and Public Safety, the first and foremost concern is student safety.

“Recent incidents indicate a need for members of the Guilford community to exercise caution and common sense while taking advantage of the woods,” said Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Aaron Fetrow. “It is not feasible to expect that GPD or Public Safety can be ever-present and we cannot expect the same level of safety we experience on the Quad.”

“We are genuinely concerned about the safety of our community,” said Stowe. “Guilford is not a magic bubble and is certainly not a closed campus. I do not recommend any student going in the woods by themselves.”