Riding the highs and lows

(Facebook.com-will cornelius)
(Facebook.com-will cornelius)

What’s going on guys? It has been a while since I was on here last, but trust me there has been plenty going on in Quaker Nation.

I apologize for the delay, it was a pretty strong combination of me enjoying the final days of spring break and a stomach bug that led to my absence. Either way, we have played 10 games since my last post and I have plenty to talk about.

For starters, we had to deal with some rain issues while in Tennessee and ended up playing a double header on the night we made the trip. Any time you play the same day as you ride five hours on a bus it is going to be tough.

That’s exactly what happened during our time there. We didn’t exactly come out as fresh as we should have and took two tough losses as the rain poured down the entire time. Although you never like to ride five hours to get whooped on, we had to immediately refocus and prepare for a conference series with Hampden- Sydney.

Hampden-Sydney typically matches up well with us, and our games are always hard fought. However, this year played out entirely in our favor. We banged out 49 hits in both games, and absolutely came out on the attack. Game one went back and forth before we finally took over in the later innings. Unfortunately for Hampden-Sydney that gave us all the momentum and we just took it to them in the second game — winning in a blow out.

Fellow blogger and senior player Kyle Wooden came back with a vengeance that particular day too, going 8 for 9 in his first games back. To say we missed him would be the understatement of the century.

But while we celebrated the big wins as always, we had to gather ourselves to get ready for our next time out. This time it was Roanoke in a midweek contest. Roanoke is another team that matches up well, and a team that we have traditionally split with over the course of a season.

Round one went in our favor, as we continued our hit-parade by putting up 10 runs on the Maroons. This was another big win for us, and also happened to be our third in a row. We will see them again later on though, so we have to make sure we take care of business during round two of the season series.

Last Friday we had a tune-up double header with Maine-Farmington, a team visiting town on their own spring break. They hadn’t even been outside because of the snow, so we had a slight edge on the boys from up north. Again we took care of business in both games and extended our winning streak to five games. Up next was Washington and Lee, a tough ODAC opponent who snaked two wins away from us last season.

Unfortunately, this year unfolded much in the same fashion. After battling back to take a lead in the first game, defensive lapses and pitching issues left us to hand them a comeback victory. Carrying the momentum from the first game, the Generals took game two in relatively easy fashion and really knocked us off the “high” from our five game winning streak.

After taking Sunday off (necessary rest b/c we we were all exhausted,) we laced ‘em up against Tufts on Monday. This turned out to be our fifth game in four days, but hey that’s just baseball. Tufts was a good team, and is currently ranked in the D III Top 25. They handed us our third straight loss at home by a score of 8-1. Although they were definitely one of the better teams we have faced, I really hate losing to those Northern teams.

It’s a game of highs and lows, but the past 10 games have been an emotional roller coaster to say the least. We went from five wins in a row to now three losses in a row. But as usual, we have to clear our minds, and focus on the next one.

Tomorrow we travel to Roanoke, in a game we need to come away with a win. Although we have dipped a bit in the past few days, we are still in good shape in the conference scene. We just need to take care of business and it starts tomorrow. Hopefully I will have something good to write about for my next entry.