Women’s basketball defeats Angels

On Nov. 20 the constant poom-poom-bom sound of basketballs bouncing off the court and rim, met with the rhythm of Lil’ Wayne pouring through the Alumni gym’s speakers to create a palpable energy for the women’s basketball game against Meredith College.

“It’s going to be competitive. Guilford is a great team, they’ve got a great program and some great players.” said Melinda Campbell, head coach for the Meredith women’s basketball team pre-game.

Cheerleaders pulled their heels overhead to a point that made my hamstrings ache as a mere spectator.

“I’m excited about the game. I’m looking forward to it!” said Guilford center Enmy Cabrera between warm-up shots.

Even though I have little knowledge of basketball, I caught myself in fits of excitement while watching The Lady Quakers get down to business.

Meredith’s players made an enthusiastic entrance, sprinting in a single-file line, then splitting up with surreal coordination comparable to China’s Olympic games arrangement to burst directly into warm-up exercises.

To keep energy levels high, Meredith kept a lightning pace, timed by their hands clapping and shouts of “ball, ball, ball!”

Coaches looked on, steely-eyed, as they measured up the opposing team.

Steadily, the arena filled with 250 fans adorned in crimson-and-white, coaches wearing tailored suits, game officials in fluorescent yellow, and monochrome-striped referees.

As game time drew near, warm-ups turned from gentle arching shots to jagged, agile zig-zags, and sharp sneaker squeaks which woke up my weak, library-loving eardrums.

The Lady Quakers got off to a strong 7-0 lead, sinking the first shot of the game over Meredith’s 6-foot-tall center. Meredith attempted to retaliate, but the ball was picked up on a rebound and sunk, from the 3-point zone, by junior Brittany Atwater.

As the Lady Quakers landed two-pointer after solid two-pointer, Quaker fans’ enthusiasm continued to mount.

“They’re playing a lot better than their first game. They’re very productive on offense.” said fan Brian Sellars.

The Lady Quakers kept the intensity high throughout the match, forcing the Angels to stay on their toes.

“This is a good game. They’re passing well, shooting well, and have great team chemistry. Their hustle is on point,” said sophomore Mickey Gilberti.

The Lady Quakers sunk a dominant three-pointer at the halftime buzzer, posting up a promising score of 39-26.

The Quaker mascot stood off in a shady corner, often seen with the gentlemen at the concession stand until halftime, when “The Electric Slide” set the tone for a serious dance-floor breakdown. Like the jerk I am, I whipped out my cell phone and got a video clip for posterity.

“They’re spreading out, showing better ball movement and teamwork, and the people coming off of the bench are really contributing,” said fan Megan Cater.

The Lady Quakers finished strong with a brutal final score of 75-46. Guilford women’s basketball head coach Stephanie Flamini took a moment to share her post-game reaction with The Guilfordian.

“We feel good about the win. We had no let-downs in the second half, which is great for such a young team. We just kept playing hard, and that was what we needed,” Flamini said.