DIY mittens: The perfect fall project

Fall is officially here. The leaves are changing, the days are growing shorter, and as the cold weather gradually replaces summer’s warmth, it is the perfect time to make a pair of cozy wool mittens. All you need are a few cheap supplies and no more than an hour of your time.You will need:
felted wool sweater sleeves
needle and thread
tape measure
sharp scissors
fabric marker
yarn

1. First things first: pick out your sweater. Check nearby thrift stores or the dusty corners of your closet. You will get the best results if you throw the sweater in the washing machine on hot. This will cause the wool to felt making it much more durable and easier to work with. Dry the sweater and you are ready to begin.

2. Lay the sweater on a table and slide your hands into the sleeves of the sweater from the cuff end. This will help you will decide how long you want the cuff of your mittens to be. Keep in mind where on your wrist you want the cuff to end as you pull your hands out of the sleeves. You can mark your arm with the marker if you want to be precise.

3. Next, measure your hand starting where you want the cuff to end. For most people this will be about an inch below the wrist bone. Note the amount of inches and add one more inch to allow for a seam.

4. Turn your sweater inside out. Lay the sleeves along the tape measure and cut straight across at the correct measurement on both sides.

5. Put your non-dominant hand back inside the sleeve and draw a mitten shape with the marker around the perimeter of your hand, leaving one inch past your fingertips for the seam. Follow the pattern and cut out the mitten. Lay this pattern on top of the other sleeve and cut it out as well.

6. Now you are ready to sew. Just stitch up the open spaces, using a backstitch or any stitch you know. If you have chosen a sweater with loose sleeves, stitch a sturdy piece of yarn to the cuff so that you can tie it up.

7. Trim the seams to about one half inch so that they will be comfortable to wear, turn the mittens right-side out, and voila! Now you have wonderful mittens for you and yours.

Embellishing the mittens is a great way to personalize them for a thoughtful, affordable gift. You can decorate the mittens with buttons, bows, felted flowers, or just keep them simple.

Now that you have made one project, the Do It Yourself door is wide open, so do not waste the rest of your sweater. There are endless possibilities with felted wool: you could make a great scarf, a sweater bag, sweater boots, hot drink sleeves or anything else you can think of!