News in brief

CHILEAccording to The New York Times, Chilean President Sebastián Piñera announced that the 33 trapped Chilean miners may be rescued as early as Oct. 17. Previously, the rescue team had set Christmas 2010 as the tentative rescue deadline, and this new development has brought much excitement throughout the country. Mining Minister, Laurence Golborne, reported to The New York Times that the Chilean government is currently debating whether or not to reinforce the shaft through which the miners will be lifted out. If they decide to fortify it, the rescue deadline will be extended by several additional days, but the safety of the miners is the primary focus. As the saga unfolds, miners are being coached on how to deal with the hundreds of reporters they are expected to face upon their rescue.

VENEZUELA

After winning the Venezuelan presidential election on Oct. 26, Hugo Chavez has vowed to radicalize his socialist government, reported Reuters. According to Reuters, the Socialist party won the elections by a slim margin (48.9 percent versus 47.9 percent) against the Democratic Unity group, boosting the Democratic Unity’s confidence in the outcome of the 2012 election. After polls showed the strongest opposition that Chavez’s party has seen in his 11 years of ruling, he is seeking to regain support amongst Venezuelans. Amongst many other political moves, Chavez plans to nationalize 617,000 acres of previously privately owned land in order to increase the nation’s food production.

INDIA

On Oct. 3, India opened the nineteenth quadrennial Commonwealth Games with a vibrant celebration, climaxing with an explosion of fireworks, according to the Washington Post. This year, the games will showcase 71 different nations in 17 sports. According to the Post, despite India’s impressive, culture-rich welcome ceremony, this year’s Games have been dampened by an acute disease spread by regional mosquitos: the dengue fever. Already, an Indian lawn-bowls official has been hospitalized due to the illness. The majority of competing athletes, however, do not seem too concerned about the threat of fever, according to the Washington Post. As the games continue, the spotlight will be on India as the country continues its efforts to showcase the best of what it has to offer, while combatting the dengue fever.

LITHUANIA

Lithuanian company Olialia (pronounced oo-la-la) plans to open up a holiday island resort, run entirely by blonde women, according to The BBC. Olialia anticipates that employing a blonde-only staff and offering direct flights to the island with a blonde-only flight crew will draw in more tourists. The business has proved to be successful already, and the company expects to double its annual profit this year to $10 million, according to The BBC. The controversial business venture has created quite a buzz, and it faces scathing criticism for institutionalizing both sexist and racist stereotypes. “It’s clear they are not selling the idea that blondes are clever,” said Latvian journalist Sanita Jemberga to BBC reporters.”They are selling the idea that blondes are sexy, because sex sells. They have found their unique selling point, which is Baltic women and sex.