South African president calls for tolerance

South African white supremacist Eugéne Terre’Blanche was beaten to death on April 3, sparking a wave of racial and political tension in South Africa. President Jacob Zuma has called on South African citizens to show tolerance and resist those who may seek to use this controversial murder to fuel racial hatred. Terre’Blanche, a neo-Nazi, overt racist, and prominent leader of the Afrikaner Resistance Movement (AWB), fought unsuccessfully throughout the 1990s to preserve apartheid. Many feel that his murder, coming almost 16 years after the end of white rule, reflects a lingering racial divide in the country.

Two black farm workers – ages 15 and 21 – have been charged with the crime, and police believe that the acts were fueled by a pay dispute. The AWB sees the murder as a politically motivated assassination, however, and has vowed revenge, although, according to VOANews, stating they would not engage in violence.

Sentiments among Terre’Blanche supporters, however, were threateningly militant.

“We are here today to declare war and avenge the death of our leader,” said one 46-year-old businessman at Terre’Blanche’s funeral, according to The New York Times. “Most white men between 35-55 have military training and we are prepared to use our skills.”

Zuma has condemned the act of violence, but he has also urged leadership on both sides to refrain from igniting political and racial tensions.

“Leaders and organizations must not use Mr. Terre’Blanche’s death to score political points,” Zuma said in his statement to the nation, according to South African news source News24. “Instead, they must work harder to unite our people.”

The task of uniting South Africa will mean overcoming a long history of racial and political tensions – tensions that have fueled hate-driven violence since the apartheid era.

“There are many places in the African continent that are far poorer than South Africa, yet have far less violent crime,” commented South African scholar Adam Habib in an interview with Democracy Now. “And in a lot of ways this violence is a product of the polarized nature of our society.”

In a few weeks leading up to the murder, racial controversy surrounded the president of the African National Congress Youth League’s singing of a popular song that emerged during the anti-apartheid movement. The lyrics to the song included a line that referred to shooting the Boer. Boer is Afrikaans for farmer.

The line in the song symbolically refers to resisting the white authority that existed in South Africa, but the AWB has drawn connections between the song and Terre’Blanche’s murder.

“I don’t think there’s a direct correlation,” Habib said. “But I do think it’s not surprising that there would be that kind of link. It’s a silly statement to make, it’s a silly song to sing, in this kind of heated atmosphere.”

While the AWB has been seeking every opportunity to further ignite racial tensions and gain political momentum, Zuma has been working tirelessly to bring the country together and smooth over the sharp political rifts.

“We just need to be mature and work well together as various parties and groups to lead our people to a prosperous, united and harmonious future,” Zuma said according to News24. “All leaders must act responsibly and work with government to control emotions and anger during this period.”

While the turmoil in South Africa has been intense in the last weeks, analysts are now saying that President Zuma’s efforts to calm tensions have been successful.

“The prompt response by the minister of police and the commissioner of police as well as the message by President Zuma did all that it could to calm down the masses and the Afrikaner community before the appearance of the accused,” said analyst Somadoda Fikeni to VOANews.

As South Africa prepares to host the 2010 soccer World Cup, Zuma’s continued efforts to unify and stabilize the nation will be essential as South Africa is held under the global spotlight and given a chance to celebrate its national identity.

The president is realistic about the challenges South Africa faces, but he exuded pride and optimism in his recent statements to the country.

“South Africa belongs to all who live in it, regardless of race, colour and political affiliation,” Zuma stated, according to News24. “This is the fundamental principle upon which our nation is founded. It is the fundamental principle that will keep this nation together always, united in its diversity.