Sewanee spoils Senior Day for Quakers

The women’s lacrosse team had their hands full on Senior Day, April 11 as they hosted Sewanee University, coming off an 18-11 loss to Greensboro College. Despite a crowd full of Quaker supporters to root on the seniors, the Tigers (10-3) handed the Quakers (5-7) their fourth consecutive loss by taking this roller coaster of a game 23-17.This game marked the celebration of Guilford seniors Ellie Merritt, Shelly Nogueira, Bree Vohs, Carrie Ernst, and Alyzza Callahan. These seniors accounted for a total of 234 goals, 78 assists, and 393 points in their careers. Callahan topped off her goalkeeping career with 41 games between the pipes, 343 saves, and a final average of 8.37 saves per game.

“This senior class has been the core that has helped rebuild Guilford women’s lacrosse into a competitive team in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC),” said head coach Matt Grosso. “I’m very proud of our accomplishments as a team. The seniors have earned the respect of our lacrosse opponents over the past four years and worked hard to make Guilford lacrosse matter again on this campus and in the lacrosse community.”

Guilford was on the Tiger’s heels all game long, but Tiger first-year Molly Arnold’s seven goals helped fend off any Quaker comeback. The seniors accounted for 13 of the Quaker’s 17 goals, including five from Ernst and four from Merritt.

The loss puts the Quakers in a must-win situation; they must beat Sweet Briar College in a game scheduled for April 17 in order to qualify for the ODAC tournament.

“The team this year has so much potential,” said Callahan. “We’ve had this ability within ourselves, and each and every one of us needs to dig deep down to see what we can do as individuals, and bring it together as one whole functioning unit – a team. Together we can beat Sweet Briar, and together we can take Roanoke and Washington and Lee by surprise. Together, more importantly, we can take the ODACs.”

The Quakers have three remaining regular-season games left, one against Sweet Briar at home on April 14, one at Roanoke College on April 17, and one at Washington and Lee University on April 21.

“I would consider winning two of our final three regular-season games and winning our first-round ODAC tournament game a fine note to head into the end of the season on,” said Grosso.

For these seniors, who Callahan could only describe as special, a strong finish would be the perfect send-off to their Guilford careers.