Students dissatisfied with Serendipity bands options

The band votes for Serendipity 2010 came in on Feb. 19, but CAB is with-holding the band names until they verify if the bands can make it.Two polls were issued to students. One poll, given during the first week of February, allowed students to choose Serendipity’s theme. The winning theme is the ’90’s.

The second poll, given during the week of Feb. 14-20, allowed students to choose ’90s bands from a list that CAB put together. Using The Concert Agency, CAB looked at both their available price range ($10,000-12,000) and whether or not the band would be available for Serendipity.

“I contacted the same agency used last year who serve as liaisons between artists and host venues and asked them to give us available artists in our price range and available on (Serendipity’s date),” said Director of Student Leadership and Engagement Erin Fox in an e-mail interview. “CAB chairs listened to each band on the provided list and narrowed the options to artists who would put on an energetic, fun show and seemed to be more widely known.”

The CAB co-presidents are Morgaine Johnson and Justin Shreve. Junior and Music and Live Performances Chair Spencer Musick said that at a recent CAB meeting, each of the available bands was played prior to being selected for the poll that students recieved.

CAB set up a table in Founders to acquire student input regarding both the theme and bands, then posted the poll information in The Buzz so that students could vote on their choices. CAB gave the option for write-ins on the poll.

“CAB stands behind the bands listed on the poll because they are what were chosen by students, through tabling,” said first-year and Music and Live Co-Chair Karyle Miller in an e-mail interview. “We did list another option, and we DO take the students interests to heart.”

In response to the bands on the poll, students banded together on Facebook in various groups to fight for their band preferences, Students for a Good Music at Serendipity and Get Man Man to Play for Serendipity 2010 being two examples.

“When I heard that there was a movement to get another band-Man Man-to come play, I was happy that people were banding together trying to get what they wanted as students because every year people complain about band choices,” said Musick. “That people are complaining is nothing new. This is the first year I think I’ve seen this concerted of an effort to get a band on campus.”

Some students expressed discontent about the bands on the poll they were given.

“I would rather have Mickey fucking Avalon come and play than have one of those piss poor unheard of’s on the poll,” said sophomore Jack Arthur in an e-mail interview. “Serendipity is supposed to be a pinnacle weekend where we all turn freak n’ bust out the big guns, everyone goes super hard for some great music and even greater and insane times with all the friends. It can’t be done properly when the music is sub-par.”

Junior Emily Martin said that she considered the bands on CAB’s poll bland and limited.

“Not only do they lack this variety, they consist of a bunch of no-names or D-list music groups from the 90’s full of middle-aged, washed-up men,” said Martin in an e-mail interview. “I also have to question the reason that there is a Christian rock group added to the poll? This does not reflect Guilford’s core values; rather it excludes a wide listening audience.”

Senior Jesus Hills started the Facebook group Get Man Man to Play for Serendipity 2010 in response to the band choices.

“I had a problem with the bands they put out on the list for a few reasons the first being, none of them really inspire me to go to a show and have a good time,” said Hills. “None of the bands on the list really struck me as riveting, exciting music. I also had a problem with the fact that there was a large group of mid 90s one hit wonders of varying popularity that just didn’t seem to fit.”

“Nine Days, Fastball, Spin Doctors, MAE all have their place but for a fun, high energy concert that is not who I want to listen to,” continued Hills. “In essence CAB provided a lot of novelty acts. I find the idea of having a Sublime cover band being a headliner offensive, especially when Serendipity should reflect the originality of Guilford’s student body.”

Musick noted that the band is not what Serendipity will be remembered for, regardless of which band plays.

“The community has to realize that whatever band is chosen, that band will not define Serendipity,” said Musick. “People are going to remember streaking through the quad. They’re not going to remember what band we had playing in ten years.”

“They will remember the good times they had with their friends. They might remember the street fair that we are having that day on Saturday which vendors will be set up on campus and we’re basically turning Guilford into a big carnival,” Musick continued. “I think there’s so much more to Serendipity than just the band that plays on Saturday night.