Super Bowl XLIV: Saints vs. Colts

On Sunday, Feb. 7, Super Bowl XLIV will commence as the AFC Champions Indianapolis Colts take on the NFC Champions New Orleans Saints. Both teams took very different paths on their way to arguably one of America’s greatest championship games. The Colts have enjoyed incredible success since the late 1990’s when quarterback Peyton Manning became the face of their organization. By maintaining stellar teams year after year through the draft and player development, they have stayed among the NFL’s elite teams for a decade, highlighted by their victory in Super Bowl XLI.

The Saints, on the other hand, have never been to a Super Bowl in their 43-year history.The Saints have a combination of flashy talent and veteran players, such as quarterback Drew Brees, safety Darren Sharper, and tight-end Jeremy Shockey.

Despite the recent success of the Saints, they have been portrayed by the media as underdogs against the Colts. However, many believers think that their offensive charge gives them a fair chance.

“This is such a great Cinderella story for the Saints. I want them to win,” said junior Adrian Peter.

Not surprisingly, Peter’s opinion represents the Guilford community well. Out of 100 students polled, 56 predicted that the Saints would win the Super Bowl. What is not apparent from these numbers is the number of voters who predicted that the Colts would win, but are rooting for the Saints.Of the 44 who predicted the Colts to win, 17 would rather see the Saints hoist the Lombardi trophy.

Guilford nation would clearly love to see the Saints walk away with their first Super Bowl victory in team history, but students have not forgotten the limitless potential of the Colts and their captain, Manning.

“I think it’s going to be close, but the Colts will win because Peyton Manning is the best quarterback of his era,” said sophomore Ryan Kontra.

Still, others voted with less passion: “Defense wins championships. Neither of these teams have a defense,” said senior Rhett Carpenter, a bitter Pittsburgh Steelers fan. “I could care less [who wins],” added junior Jordan Nelson.

In terms of Super Bowl parties, most students said they were content with staying at home to watch with friends.

“I plan to stay in and drink until I believe the Patriots are winning,” said junior Dylan DePasquale.

“For the Super Bowl, I’m going to party like it’s my birthday – because it is my birthday,” said senior Justin White, who turns 23 on Super Bowl Sunday.

Others, like first-year Joanna Duhe, have planned long distance arrangements for the game.

“I’m going to Washington, D.C. to watch the game with friends,” she said.

Out of the many students polled for this article, only one consistent result surfaced; everyone wants to watch an exciting, close game.