Guilford rugby teams host touch rugby tournament for the community

On Dec. 6, Guilford’s men’s and women’s rugby clubs hosted the first ever community touch rugby tournament, open to anyone who’s ever thought about getting a taste for the game.”So far this year, the club hasn’t had too much interaction with the Guilford community, so that was a big motivation in making the touch tournament an open invite for anyone,” said senior Maxwell George, one of the co-organizers. “We also wanted to give people an experiential understanding of rugby, just to break down the hypothetical sidelines barrier between us and our friends and fans.”

Touch rugby is a long-standing tradition for rugby players in the off-season. The game uses most of the skills and strategies of full contact rugby, but a two-hand touch is substituted for tackling.

“A lot of people are intimidated by rugby’s reputation as a dangerous and reckless sport,” said George. “But touch rugby is a sport that everyone can play.”

The tournament was organized into two separate events: a practice/training session on Friday to teach the rules, and then a tournament on Saturday.

With rain and severely cold temperatures on Saturday, the tournament was postponed to Sunday, which caused a lot of players to drop out due to schedule conflicts.

“We had no idea how many people would make it out to play on Sunday,” admits George. “When I got to the pitch, it didn’t look good, just a handful of us.”

Eventually, enough players showed up to make it a three-team tournament.

“It would have been good to have more people,” said junior Wes Good, an avid Guilford rugby fan, “But I still had a blast.”

Even with a lack of numbers and a still frigid climate, the tournament kicked off as planned at 2 p.m. with a rousing rendition of the National Anthem sung and recorded by senior ruggers Kevin Smithey and Bryce Bjornson.

The teams were re-divided with careful attention to fairness.

“I thought the way that the teams were organized was a good mix of experienced players, rookies, and first timers,” said Maddie Holland, a first-year on the women’s rugby team. “It was really fun.”

The tournament started with a three-team round robin and then a playoff.

After the tournament, a total of 12 individual awards were given out to different players, highlighting their unique contributions.

Among some of the awards were: Biggest Whiner, given to Smithey, Dirtiest Flannel Award given to Bjornson, and Most Polite Award given to sophomore Daryn Lane.

Despite the obstacles, the club considered the tournament a success, and members of the community anxiously await the next touch tournament, which is already being planned for the spring.

“It was fun,” said Good. “Instead of just watching, I liked being able to play with out losing an arm or a leg.