A forgotten history for a new generation

Bright, warm colors fill the auditorium. The steady beat of drums echoes through the room. Sunlight floods in, highlighting the hues of reds, greens, and blues dispersed through rows of artifact-lined tables. From across the room a voice shouts, “Hey baby, thanks for coming! Now, just start over there and work your way around.”

The source of this enthusiasm is Angela Jennings, a cheery, smiling woman wearing traditional crimson-toned African garb. The curator of the exhibit, she hastens near and repeats her instructions, intent that all visitors achieve the desired effect.

Dubbed SANKOFA, this traveling African American museum on wheels is a comprehensive collection of artifacts that underscore noteworthy moments in African American history, such as the Middle Passage, the era of “King Cotton,” the Civil Rights movement, and the success of African American inventors.

Ghanaian in origin, the term SANKOFA translates to “go back and take,” which is precisely what Jennings did.

“Her nephew was her source of inspiration,” said Africana Community Coordinator and Multicultural Leadership Scholars Coordinator Jada Drew. “He didn’t know about his heritage, so Mrs. Jennings decided to take matters into her own hands.”

Since 1995 Jennings has traveled to West Africa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and throughout the United States. She has collected hundreds upon hundreds of pieces either through her own effort or from the generous gifts of others.

“This is amazing,” said junior Camara Gosmon. “Seeing these pictures and actually experiencing history through this exhibit makes it so much more real than reading about it in class.”

One of the most treasured pieces of her collection is a quilt with an array of quotes from Martin Luther King Jr. penned by his older sister, as well as a spread of inventions of unsung African American heroes.

“It has to be what I am supposed to be doing, because something or someone always comes to me,” said Jennings.

The truth of her words was evident when an original Tuskegee Airman, Harvey Alexander, appeared at her exhibit to show his gratitude for her work.

The Tuskegee Airmen were America’s first black military airmen who either were drafted or enlisted at a time when the vast majority of Americans believed African Americans to be of lesser intelligence and worth.

Proudly, Alexander presented her with an article published two years ago with his story, which Jennings then insisted he sign to add to her collection of Tuskegee Airmen memorabilia.

“Bless you,” said a tearful Jennings to Alexander. “I’m so honored you came.”

Later Jennings commented, “Nothing compares to hearing someone else’s story firsthand. We are and will always remain a people grounded in oral tradition.”

Jennings’ traveling museum commemorates the history of African Americans, both the good and bad.

Authentic chains used during the Middle Passage, photographs of lynchings, and original signs with “No Coloreds Allowed” and “Blacks Use Back Door” interlace with stamps of Malcolm X and statues of George Washington Carver.

“Parts of her exhibit are disturbing,” said Drew. “However, what is more disturbing is that this is not an exhibit just about African American history, but American history. This is not a one-sided story.”

“It’s pretty intense, but it is something we all should be aware of, no matter how painful it may be,” said senior Olivia Richardson.