Softball commemorates seniors and pursues ODAC tourament

At the transition of each inning, a conglomeration of Flo Rida, Lady Gaga, and Lil Wayne blasted as one team scurried off to bat and the other to field. No one ever walked, or even jogged, but always sprinted, even if to get a foul ball that an excited fan had fetched. The high energy radiating from the Guilford softball team was furthered by the cacophony of clapping and the consistent pops, cracks, and thuds of the softball to a player’s bat or glove.

To add to the energy surrounding the duo of games, both were commemorated by “Senior Day.” Arrays of neon green and pink posters and banners were sprinkled along the outskirts of the field, proudly displaying the names of the four seniors: Kelly Hale, Amber Stapler, Kelly Guavnieri, and Taryn Pulvermuller.

Needless to say, there was never a dull or a quiet moment amidst the clamor of the crowd and the catchy cheers emanating from each dugout.

This Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) doubleheader was a match between two competitive teams. Currently sixth in the ODAC, the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins’ defense this year had earned them an ERA of 2.35, which made the Quakers work for each run. Virginia Wesleyan’s pitcher Brittany Brown, who pitched both games, has played a decisive role in the team’s defense record.

. Senior Kelly Hale commented on how crucial this double-header was for the Quakers, presently ranked third in the ODAC.

“We only have a few games left, so we need to hold our defense and keep swinging to get to the level we want in the conference,” said first baseman Hale.

In this regard, Senior Taryn Pulvermuller did not disappoint. Pulvermuller pitched the entirety of the first game and only allowed one run on two hits, striking out four Marlins. Sophomore Ami Hutchinson didn’t let Pulvermuller’s effort go to waste and ran safely home off of first-year Julie Langseth’s bunt to propel the Quakers ahead with a 2-1 score.

In the next four innings the Quakers owned the field. The Marlins consistently hit the ball well but were unable to score due to the Quaker’s concise throws and tight defense. With right fielder Morgan Freyer’s two lurching fly ball catches at the top of the sixth, the Quakers went on to outmaneuver the Marlins and win the game 2-1.

To start the second game, the Quakers scored two runs in the first inning to take an early lead.

Pitcher Jessica Burcham held the Marlins at a halt in the first five innings and ended the game with 11 total strikeouts.

Despite their strong defense, the Quakers lost their lead in the seventh inning when the Marlins batted in two runs, making the final score 3-2.

With a win and a loss, the Quakers remain third in the ODAC with a 9-5 record.

“I’ve basically been crying off and on all day,” said Pulvermuller.

“The team is so tight and confident this year, and I think that really came through in the first game.”

Pulvermuller and her senior teammates have made their marks in Guilford softball throughout the past four years.

Hale has the highest on-base and fielding percentage in Guilford history, while Amber Stapler has acquired the most at bats for 2008 and the most career runs scored.

Moreover, Kelly Guavnieri has the second highest base percentage, and pitcher Taryn Pulvermuller has the second most wins in Quaker history.

“It is bittersweet,” said Hale. “This isn’t the end though; we still have more games and a tournament to look forward to. I have full faith that this team can and will go far.