Texas gun legislation doomed to misfire

The past decade has brought controversy in the realm of gun control. Strings of school shootings have furthered this palpable debate within the United States through Michael Moore documentaries, endless newspaper articles, and Charlton Heston harangues.

With the anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings approaching, memories return of the fear and doubt that dominated those uncertain hours. With the deaths of 33 people, including the gunman himself, the Virginia Tech massacre was the deadliest shooting by a single gunman in the history of the United States.

While perceivable measures to prevent school violence have been taken in recent years, a consensus has yet to be reached on the most effective approach. However, the state of Texas feels that they have settled upon the ideal solution.

According to a recent article in the New York Times, there is currently a bill being proposed in the Texas Legislature that would permit those with concealed gun licenses to bring weapons to college campuses throughout the state.

Apparently for the state of Texas, protecting students from future school shootings includes allotting students the ability the right to carry concealed weapons to their college or university.

Sorry Texas, but I can’t envision a scenario in which it reasons to stop school violence by allowing concealed weapons on campus.

Supporters of this bill believe that if only they could carry their own weapons, then such violence in schools could be virtually erased.

Just imagine: an angry student disappointed in his grades could easily pull out a handgun, or a drunken argument could quickly become something worse.

“All you need is one psycho individual,” said sociology major and sophomore Sam Howard. “If you give everyone else guns, then it seems that more people would get hit if a gun does happen to go off.”

Hence, more guns do not equate to less risk; if nothing else, it is the exact opposite.

“I don’t think that adding guns to the equation ever help to reduce shooting; that only makes it easier,” said Texan and sophomore Lindsey Aldridge. “Texans like their guns, but I don’t believe that putting guns in the hands of more students is the right way to go.”

The fact of the matter is that there are simply too many scenarios where something could go horribly wrong. The risks are too great.

Of course, it is natural to want to protect yourself in such situations, but to have more guns floating around only increases the chances that these school shootings can and will take place.

So Texas, if the purpose is to enhance safety features, then adopt one of the several initiatives proposed by other colleges and universities to combat school violence.

Schools across the country, including Guilford, have added emergency lines so that the administration has the ability to call students’ cell phones in cases of emergency. Thus, if someone does happen to threaten students or faculty with a gun, then the entire university or college can be notified within minutes.

Moreover, larger universities have installed metal detectors and rigorous attention to campus security has been implemented as well.

Even activist student organizations exist that discuss and pursue methods to regulate gun control.

Listening to those passionate for this cause or following in the footsteps of schools already equipped with gun control programs are both viable, valuable options.

So in this case, Texas, having more guns is not going to solve the problem at hand, especially one concerning gun control.