Appenzeller Field set for artificial turf

A $1 million gift from the Edward M. Armfield Sr. Foundation provides artificial turf for the stadium that will benefit the soccer, lacrosse, football, and intramural teams.Appenzeller Field will be under construction beginning in April while the installation of artificial turf takes place.

Thanks to a $1 million gift from the Edward M. Armfield, Sr. Foundation, the college will be able to trade a hard-to-maintain playing field for the permanent and stable artificial turf.

“Making Armfield Athletic Center a game field for football, lacrosse, and soccer was part

of the Strategic Long Range Plan (SLRP) approved nearly five years ago,” said Vice President for Enrollment and Campus Life Randy Doss. “This gift will allow the college to make this a reality. The Foundation provided the funds to build the new seating and the press box approximately three years ago.”

Installation of the turf is to begin in April after all the city permits have been secured and the field prepared.

Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach Matthew Grosso explained that the field must be prepped by digging up the existing field and then leveling the ground for the installation of the turf.

“We are thrilled about this new field. This is something that will benefit a large population of the athletic department,” said Head Football Coach Kevin Kiesel. “Soccer, lacrosse, football and now intramural and club teams will be able to use the field without worrying about damaging the field for another team’s games.”

The natural field is more susceptible to damage so there has been limited access to maintain the field.

The artificial surface mimics a natural playing field minus the divots, mounds, and holes that can be detrimental to an athlete.

The new turf can withhold five to six inches of water, and players will not have to play in muddy conditions.

“We’re very excited about the new field surface,” said Head Men’s Lacrosse Coach Andy Rowe. “With the rain that our area gets in the early spring, we’ll finally have a consistent surface to practice and play on every day.”

Players are also looking forward to the turf and see the importance of how Guilford is perceived by other teams.

“I think the turf will allow all teams, both in fall and spring, to play their scheduled games regardless of weather,” said women’s lacrosse player Carrie Ernst. “It was always kind of a letdown when you got mentally prepared to play, but the weather wouldn’t allow it.”

“I think that by us having the field we will seem more professional because a lot of the other teams we play against already have the top,” said women’s soccer player Marina Schachowskoj.

In addition, Head Athletic Trainer Kirsten Schrader believes that the field will be better for the health of the players.

“Since the field will always be level, you aren’t going to step in a hole or fall over a mound,” said Schrader. “The turf will react a lot like grass because of the different layers of grass material, sand, and pellets, but no puddles. Incidents of slipping might be lessened that would cause a decrease in sprains.”

There are other concerns related to the artificial surface that Schrader believes will not be a major issue.

“There is a risk of MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus), but there isn’t a whole lot of research about it,” said Schrader.

MRSA is commonly referred to as “staph” and is bacteria commonly carried on the skin or in the nose of healthy people and has been found in some artificial surfaces.

Schrader said that showering immediately after a game, not sharing towels, and cleaning out cuts and abrasions would drastically reduce the risk of MRSA and of any other type of infection.

In addition to the health of the players, men’s soccer player Henry Cordeal believes there will be other benefits.

“The new field will give us a chance to host a tournament here at Guilford, which is a good step for the soccer program,” said Cordeal. “And because it will be in the stadium and under the lights, the new field will allow us to play games in the evening, which hopefully will boost our fan turn out.”

With the new turf, combined with previous lighting and seating improvements, the college’s field will not only benefit athletics, but Grosso believes it will benefit the local community and the college population.

“The new field will allow Guilford to host local high school and town events,” said Grosso. “This will bring people onto campus and hopefully attract more students to our college.