Carolina’s Diner: The new kid on the block

The midnight munchies are something that has haunted all Guilford College students at some time or another. Of course, Jimmy Johns and Best Diner have played their roles in relieving those cumbersome hunger calls at all hours of the night, but there is a new kid on the block. Conveniently located directly across the street in Quaker Village, Carolina’s Diner recently opened to the delight of Guilford students.

The ambiance of the fifties blast from the past décor and the mouth-watering, home-cooked aromas emanating from the kitchen immediately entice the senses.

But there is the immediate recognition that you might be hard pressed to find a space to sit down. While alluring, the diner is also exceptionally tiny.

Sophomore Brian Daniel commented, “It is smaller than it should be, so they may not be able to handle the 3 a.m. drunken Guilford students craving hot food.”

Posters of cultural icons such as James Dean, Humphrey Bogart, and Marilyn Monroe line the walls, as well as an Edward Hopper painting and a scramble of antique license plates.

Booths span the restaurant interior, and a countertop with the quintessential bar stools complete the desired hamburger and soda joint feel reminiscent of classic scenes from “Grease” and “Happy Days.”

If the charming atmosphere isn’t enough to win you over, simply peruse the wide array of menu options. Literally, this place has a little bit of everything.

Breakfast options such as waffles, a variety of omelets, or eggs any way with hash browns and toast are only the beginnings to the spread available to the most selective of diner-goers.

For vegetarians, vegetable plates with the combination of any of the 15 possible choices are available, as well as a yummy assortment of dinner and appetizer options.

Also, for anyone craving some old-fashioned homemade pie, yet again Carolina’s Diner is the destination for you. In fact, thanks to loyal Guilford students, this diner of the four other Carolina’s Diners happens to sell the most pie.

Needless to say, the array of delicious pastries, milkshakes, and sundaes are hard to resist.

“The milkshakes were delicious,” said sophomore Julian Nipper. “My friends and I have already been three times.”

If the craving for Carolina’s Diner has yet to set in, add in to the equation the fact that Guilford College students get an extra 10% off their entire meal and that the diner is open 24/7.

“Carolina’s Diner is a really relaxed, comfortable environment,” said junior Allison Martin. “The service is fantastic. The wait staff is so friendly, and calls you things like ‘sweetie’ and ‘darling’.”

Cheap, good food that is so wonderfully diverse and complete with a dose of Southern charm . what’s not to like?

“I think that next time I plan on going to a diner, I’ll think twice about which one to choose,” said Daniel.