Vogelbach signs with IFL team

When United Indoor Football (UIF) and the Intense Football League merged to form the Indoor Football League (IFL) in October 2008, hundreds of players from both leagues and colleges across the country hoped for a professional contract. Among those accepted into the ranks, former Guilford quarterback Josh Vogelbach signed with the ‘Extreme’ of Bloomington, IL.

“Growing up, I just wanted to play college football,” said Vogelbach. “Once I achieved success there, I realized that I might have a shot at the next level. It’s just a good feeling to get the opportunity to keep playing.”

Vogelbach ’08 enters his professional career with 19 NCAA records, including the Division III all-time passing yardage and completions. Starting four years for the Quakers, Vogelbach won the Old Dominion Athletic Conference’s (ODAC) Rookie of the Year award in 2005 and was a three time All-ODAC selection.

“He (Vogelbach) is a perfect quarterback for the arena league,” said Guilford Head Coach Kevin Kiesel. “They run the ball so little that it’s like a passing scrimmage and he’s a great passer.”

Vogelbach, who graduated in December with an exercise and sport science degree, will report to preseason camp in February as one of over a dozen players recently signed by the Extreme.

“The quality of players is much higher than years before,” said Extreme Head Coach Kenton Carr in a recent press release.

Among those recently signed by the Extreme are former NFL player Tristan Burge, who played for the Green Bay Packers, and quarterback Ronnie Simpson, who played with the New Mexico Wildcats in the American Indoor Football Association (AIFA).

“They (the Extreme) are bringing in four quarterbacks, so I’ll have my work cut out for me,” said Vogelbach. “But with last year’s starter gone, we’ll (four new quarterbacks) have to battle it out to see who starts.”

The Extreme, who get their name from local Bloomington auto dealer Extreme Motors, will host the Saginaw Sting of Michigan in their preseason opener on March 7. The Extreme will play eight home games at the Cellular Coliseum and play another seven games on the road.

The IFL’s 19 teams are divided into two conferences, the ‘United’ and ‘Intense’ after the two former leagues, and include several expansion teams that are scheduled to begin play in 2010.

In the United conference, teams are divided into the Central and Atlantic divisions and include the Maryland Maniacs, Sioux City Bandits, Omaha Beef, Wichita Wild and Bloomington Extreme. Teams in the Intense conference’s Lone Star and Pacific Divisions include the Abilene Ruff Riders, Alaska Wild, Billings Outlaws, El Paso Generals, Colorado Ice and Fairbanks Grizzlies. Expansion teams include the Everett Destroyers, Frisco Thunder, Kent Defenders and Lehigh Valley Outlawz.

Vogelbach, a Fort Myers, Fla. native, is both excited and nervous about his move to Bloomington and subsequent travels.

“I’m kind of dreading the cold, but we play indoors,” said Vogelbach, adding: “I’m excited that I’ll get to see a lot of the U.S. and travel all over.”

In his wake, Vogelbach leaves sophomore quarterback Billy Watkins to lead the Quakers’ offense.

“It’s going to be hard to leave my friends and Guilford in general,” said Vogelbach. “But this is the next stage in my life and I can’t wait to get started.