Eight-year legacy of “disappointments” and success

Iraq, Katrina, Abu Ghraib and 9/11.These are just some events forever associated with a president that won his seat in 2001 in a bitterly contested race, despite Al Gore’s possession of the popular vote.

By October 2001, the Twin Towers had been hit, prompting Bush to declare the “War on Terrorism.” U.S. troops were deployed to Afghanistan to defeat al Qaeda and capture its leader, Osama Bin Laden.

In early 2003, the U.S. invaded Iraq seeking weapons of mass destruction and to topple Sadaam Hussein. Strong U.S. and international opposition to the war ignited mass protests not seen since Vietnam, when thousands of protestors congregated around the Capitol.

“I feel like our government forces our culture on other countries and in doing that it has created terrorism, more so than protecting us from them,” said senior Adrienne Martin, expressing her opposition to the war.

However, in his exit speech, Bush credits his administration for keeping the country safe from terrorists.

“America has gone more than seven years without another terrorist attack on our soil,” said Bush.

“Being able to keep the country free from another terrorist attack is no small measure; however, it’s one of those things where it takes two to tango,” said Kyle Dell, assistant professor of political science. “There has to be terrorist attacks to prevent, but you can’t say there is nobody around to harm us anymore.”

Bush’s claim about our safety runs concurrent with his defense of interrogation tactics of Iraq prisoners of war in the Abu Ghraib prison.

“Actively promoting torture without using the word ‘torture’ in regards to interrogation methods and detaining people without habeas corpus could be his worst legacy,” said Assistant Professor of Political Science Maria Rosales.

In 2005, Hurricane Katrina decimated large portions of the Gulf Coast and Bush came under fire for his response to the disaster. Fueling this debate were several days of horrific televised images of people standing on roofs and overpasses waiting to be rescued in the blistering heat.

“Don’t tell me the federal response was slow when 30,000 people were pulled off roofs when the storm passed. Could things have been done better? Absolutely,” said Bush, who admitted to “disappointment” in his farewell speech.

“Those pictures are going to be around for a long time,” said Dell. “It was something that happened a lot closer to home; when people talk about Katrina it will always be associated with George Bush.”

In contrast to a large amount of negative press and a 73% disapproval rate, Bush will go on record as having put aside more natural areas than any other President.

In 2006, he protected 84 million acres of remote Hawaiian Islands, protecting 7,000 species by executive order.

This year in the Pacific he banned commercial fishing and mining, establishing a California-sized marine area devoted to preserving coral reefs and threatened marine life.

“Mr. Bush has protected more special places in the sea than any other person in history,” said Joshua Reichert of the Pew Environment Group to the BBC News.

When Bush visited Africa in 2008, he was met by enthusiastic people eager to meet him.

“While Bush’s critics have given him little credit for his African initiatives, they will be among his most enduring legacies in a region of the world neglected by policymakers from both parties for too long,” said Andrew Natsios, a fellow at the Hudson Institute to the Boston Globe last year.

In May 2004, Bush denounced the Darfur atrocities and instigated the humanitarian effort to aid refugees.

In July 2008, he expanded AIDS relief to Africa by $48 billion dollars. Under his administration more than two million people in Africa infected with AIDS accessed life-saving treatment.

“I salute President Bush for his leadership in crafting a plan for AIDS relief in Africa and backing it up with funding dedicated to saving lives and preventing the spread of the disease,” said Barack Obama in a videotape played at a forum for the 20th anniversary for World Aids Day.

This week the official shift of presidential power takes hold of the nation and Bush’s legacy will be scrutinized and written into history: the good, the bad and the debatable.