Passing of Prop 8 takes progressive voters by surprise

While watching the post-election news, I experienced a collective sense of renewed hope. I thought I was part of a larger group of like-minded people eager to be a part of the new American liberalism.And then I heard that California voters barely passed Proposition 8 denying Californian gay couples the right to legally marry.

Many people like me assumed that since there was huge turnout for Barack Obama, the vote for change also translated into a vote for tolerance.

It was a setback to broadminded people everywhere.

Mormon churches, very public in their crusade for Proposition 8, have become targets of mass protest. According to The New York Times, the church raised millions for pro-Proposition 8 advertising in just a matter of days.

The response to these revelations is a backlash against the Mormon Church that has become very organized and vocal.

Highly planned and publicized protests outside of Mormon churches took place last Saturday in major cities across the United States. More than 4,000 people showed up in Manhattan chanting for civil rights, just one part of a larger network of Internet-fueled protests across the United States.

In contrast, Guilford Pride, Guilford’s GLBTQ group, advertised a gathering last week to express local response to the passage of Proposition 8.

The Buzz announcement invited anyone that wanted to come and get married on the lawn in front of Founders to show up, flowered arch and preacher provided.

The event meant to promote tolerance and celebrate love never took place. Guildford Pride is currently addressing budget cuts and organizational issues.

“Our members and the greater LGBTQA community have not been stepping up and helping out like they should be,” said senior Pride treasurer Jamie Metrick. “We feel we are losing the already fickle community on campus that we have.”

In addition to Pride’s plight, it appeared the only people who showed for the event were a young couple and myself. They were so obviously in love that I couldn’t help but smile. I was drawn into their private world of warmth and goodwill and to witness their declaration of devotion.

They were there to support the rights of all other people that love each other and were simple proof that love would not exist if it were not meant to be.

This November, America witnessed what can happen when people get involved and take responsibility for their values.

California passed the ban on gay marriage, but with a margin so small that it practically invites dissenters to speak up. Unfortunately, this divisive issue will play out in the courtroom and that process will take time.

In the meantime, we don’t have to let the risk of budget cuts and apathy complicate the process of promoting tolerance and supporting civil rights of all people.

“The budget cuts took us by surprise, but we are going to focus on building our community next semester and make do with what we’ve got,” said Metrick.

Change is coming to the White House in January, but in light of what happened in California, this is no time for freethinkers to let their guard down and assume that all change will lean toward the liberal.