Bryan Jones, the man behind the microphone

Coordinator of Sports Marketing Bryan Jones joined Guilford four years back and has a lot planned for Guilford’s future. “I’m experimenting with several different things,” Jones said. “I’m like a mad scientist with this department. Also, we are working on getting more corporate partners once we get out of this recession. Maybe we can get on the radio by then.”

Where is this young savant of broadcasting’s place of origin? Jones claims his roots to be at neighboring Elon University.

“It was my freshman year at Elon. I knew I was going to look at communication and at the beginning, I was looking at print, but a few friends of mine started doing a broadcast at the station. Mike, a friend of mine, was doing games at Elon and is still there now,” said Jones who stresses the fast and intricate nature of broadcasting.

“You get put into the fire; you have to learn in the situations that don’t give you a choice.”

Jones arrived at Guilford thanks to an internship program that Tom Palombo, Guilford’s athletic director, set up at Elon. “A friend of mine got to it first but he wanted me along, and the rest is history.”

Jones voiced his interest in sports broadcasting and explained why he was now involved in sports broadcasting over other fields of communication.

“I did sports talk in college so that’s gotta say something now. I’m also not a one-game guy. For example I’m pretty well versed in volleyball, which can be a hard and complicated sport to commentate and follow.”

The discussion leaned towards Internet broadcasting, and not only listening, but watching games at a computer. The growing popularity of Internet broadcasts puts another type of broadcasting in peril. For all the radio fans out there, Jones casts words of comfort.

“It’s got a big advantage over TV. TV is hurting because of the Internet. As long as they keep putting the radios in car, radio is fine. TV news is just hurting and leaving slack over the last few years, but the radio has been doing a great job of adapting to that.”

Jones further explained the need for airing Guilford sports on the radio because he is unsatisfied with the current medium.

Guilford’s games are broadcast over the internet at http://www.stretchinternet.com and can be heard over a telephone from anywhere in the world via Teamline (216-502-3200 x4173).

“People say (Internet broadcasting is) the new wave, which I would agree with, but in terms of reaching wider audiences, there is a theory out there that not everybody has a computer yet. We have come a long way but we aren’t there quite yet,” said Jones.

“The radio allows for people that can’t afford a computer, from all walks of life, to listen to a game.”

Jones appeared to be in good spirits about the direction Guilford’s broadcasting is heading, and every sports fan can rest easy knowing that Bryan Jones will be spearheading all their game broadcasts.