Quaker Pride

Guilfords cheerleaders encourage the crowd and lead the way in the first-ever homecoming parade around the football field on Nov. 8. (Mary Bubar)
Guilford’s cheerleaders encourage the crowd and lead the way in the first-ever homecoming parade around the football field on Nov. 8. (Mary Bubar)

No matter what sport Guilford’s athletes are competing in, the Quaker cheerleaders always bring their “A” game. The cheerleaders have two jobs. As athletes, they perform innovative and entertaining routines, but they also help close the gap between varsity athletes and the fans.

The original Quaker cheerleaders phased out somewhere between 1988 and 1992, but in 2002, 10 female students decided to build their own routine, find their own coach and petition Community Senate.

Last year the team grew to 15 members. However, graduating seniors and study abroad opportunities have lowered that number to eight members. The team is still all women but they are diverse in interests, personality, and appearance.

The initiative of the members in 2002 remains evident in the cheerleaders today.

In 2007, the squad petitioned to be recognized by Senate as an athletic team. On top of their deserved recognition, which came from discipline and hard work, Senate has included them in the athletic budget and insurance policy. At Guilford, cheerleading is not a NCAA Division III sport, but their recognition as a Guilford athletic team is no small feat.

The team cheers because they love the sport, and their dedication can be seen on the court and field. The team does not focus on the superficialities that cheerleaders on television often portray.

“I like being a part of the cheerleading squad because it feels good to have a group of friends that you know have your back,” said first-year Gerina Auguste. “I also like cheering for our school and seeing all the smiling faces.”

The cheerleaders’ priority has always been to support their fellow athletes. Their inspiring routines often include dance and gymnast-like movements. Through rigorous practices the girls have sustained many kinds of injuries, specifically to their thumbs and ankles, but that hasn’t left them defeated.

Our cheerleaders have spread Quaker pride throughout the community. Rain or shine, win or lose, 2008 or 2002, their smiling faces, and encouraging cheers give Guilford another reason to be proud.