Guilford’s Kimbrough joins the Washington Generals

Graduating from his college basketball career at Guilford, former varsity basketball star Caleb Kimbrough (’08) has become a professional athlete. Kimbrough has signed a one-year guaranteed contract with the Washington Generals, better known as the ineffective opposition to the Harlem Globetrotter’s comedic basketball routine.In each “exhibition,” the Globetrotters consistently trump the Generals by using incredibly complex and entertaining trick shots and plays. The Globetrotters appear to have effortless control of the ball throughout the game, while the Generals try to keep up with a game of heavily disciplined “straight ball,” which is ultimately unsuccessful game after game.

Considering his track record with the Quakers, helping the Quakers to a 76-36 record in his four-year tenure, Kimbrough may have trouble getting used to losing every game. After all, his college career was impeccable and his fans and teammates all know him as a dogged competitor.

First of all, there are the awards. These little nuggets of honor include Guilford’s 2006-07 Quaker Club Ideal Student-Athlete Award, the 2008 Nereus C. English ’26 Athletic Leadership Award and the 2007 Richard Joyce Sportsmanship Award.

Throughout Kimbrough’s Guilford career, the 5-9, 170-pound guard averaged 6.8 points per game and 1.9 rebounds per game-righteous stats by anyone’s terms. He had 358 career assists and 130 steals, which placed him third overall at Guilford College.

“The man was a baller,” said die-hard Kimbrough fan and third-year Guilford student Rachel McClure, “A true shot-caller. He will be missed.”

Kimbrough played his first Generals-Globetrotters game on Oct. 8 in Harlem, N.Y., but only after a week of vigorous training.

“I played in the second quarter and scored a couple lay-ups and a short jump shot,” said Kimbrough in his regularly updated blog. “I also have been chosen to be the Generals player that puts a glass covering over the Globetrotters’ basket (due to my height, ha …ha) in the third quarter (by means of a ladder).”

Kimbrough commented on the predictable ending of the game with lighthearted enthusiasm.

“Overall, our team did a great job in the show and shot lights out,” he wrote. “Unfortunately, we came up on the short end once again … losing to the darn Globetrotters 92-86!! Maybe next time.”

On Oct. 12, Kimbrough left with the Generals and Globetrotters for Tel Aviv, Israel, where they began their Mediterranean tour. They will return Dec. 26 for a game in Green Bay, Wis. The Generals play 110 games in 115 days.

Varsity basketball coach Tom Palombo is glad to watch Kimbrough reach success, but still reminisces about their glory days.

“Caleb was an outstanding leader and one of the hardest workers I have ever coached,” Palombo wrote in an e-mail. “He was extremely competitive and did not like to lose whether it was a practice, drill or a game.”

Former teammate and sophomore T.C. Anderson viewed Kimbrough as a role model for the whole team.

“On and off the floor he was a leader,” he said. “He was an unbelievably hardworking player and left everything on the floor.”

“He very much deserved that,” said Anderson in response to Kimbrough’s recent success.

“We were all excited about Caleb’s opportunity to continue his playing career,” said Palombo. “He loves basketball. He wants to coach one day and this will give him experiences he can take with him as he gains valuable experience.”

To learn more about Kimbrough’s experience, read his blog at http://www.calebkimbrough.blogspot.com for day-to-day updates on his burgeoning basketball career.

“I check it everyday,” said McClure. “It makes me proud to know I have actually touched, with my own hands, a real Washington General and that the dude actually went to my college.