Michael Moore uses free media to push political message

In the midst of the 2008 election, Michael Moore released his latest work entitled “Slacker Uprising.” “Slacker Uprising” recounts Moore’s 2004 tour, when he visited 64 cities in 20 battleground states in attempt to raise voter awareness in America’s youth.

“It was clear (in 2004) that young people were the ones who were going to save the day – just as they are in this year’s election,” Moore said.

Moore, a controversial documentary director and straight-ticket Democrat, encountered fierce opposition along his tour.

“I wouldn’t pay a nickel to see one of that man’s movies,” said Republican protestors in the movie.

So how does Moore approach this new battle? Simple – release this one for free.

His risky maneuver marks the first time in the downloadable generation a full-length motion picture has been released over the internet “on the house.”

The non-existent price tag is a reward to loyal fans that have followed Moore throughout his 20-year career as a director.

While Moore’s benevolence is apparent, he also doesn’t shy away from acknowledging his ulterior motivations to debut his film. Moore openly supports the Democratic Party, and would love nothing more than to see Obama take office in 2008.

In an attempt to sway young people to vote Democrat, Moore released his movie, for free, on the most widely used media source for 18-29 year-olds: the Internet.

Think about it, how long do you go without hopping online? In the day of Facebook, Myspace, and YouTube, it’s shocking that college students get anything done at all.

I know I cannot write a paper without taking at least a five minute break to check up on the latest “news-feed” action or watch a music video on YouTube.

The movie is only free-of-cost to residents of the United States and Canada. However, if you are not a member of that exclusive club, you can purchase a “low-cost” DVD directly from the website.

Moore has given permission to share the movie via any avenue you like.

“Share the movie with your friends, set up screenings in your communities or theaters, show it on your campuses,” Moore said.

But the question remains, is the scheme to rally Democratic support and youth voters working? Is his message reaching the masses?

I’d say so. “Slacker Uprising” is one the hottest downloads available right now.

Hypernia Hosting Corp, the company distributing the film throughout the Internet, claims “Slacker Uprising” broke downloading records within its first 24 hours on the web.

iTunes, where I downloaded my copy, reports that the film has been downloaded three times more than “normal” movies.

In addition, “Slacker Uprising” is the number one “Video on Demand” on Amazon, and the film’s webpage received over two million visits within the first three days.

Moore’s message could open your eyes to things you didn’t know, and may even sway your view on the responsibility behind voting

I encourage everyone to check it out, Republican or Democrat. Watch it and share it. Love it or hate it. Either way, “Slacker Uprising” is certainly enlightening and delivers a powerful message.

So whether you’re “ProBama” or “NoBama” in 2008, jump on the youth movement bandwagon, step-up, and take charge. Slackers everywhere must unite. Oh wait, isn’t that the point he’s trying to make?