McCain and Obama face off in final debate

Within the last month Senators John McCain and Barack Obama have engaged in three debates covering foreign policies, internal affairs, economic crises, and mutual accusations both have made during their campaigns. On Oct. 7, the second debate, held at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, was dominated by the current economic issues and foreign policy. Both candidates had difficulty keeping their answers under two minutes and their interjections brief, leaving no time for questions involving social policies.

Commentators predicted that McCain would perform well within the structure of the second debate, where audience members asked the candidates questions, resembling a town hall forum. In addition to fact checks they paid attention to body language, often noting Obama’s casual demeanor and McCain’s opposing sighs.

The candidates sniped at each other as they tried to associate the other with leaders from Fannie Mac and Freddie Mae, which often involved them deviating from the intended questions.

McCain drew comparisons between himself and Teddy Roosevelt, as Obama defended his experience during his shorter political career.

During the second debate McCain was criticized for referring to Obama as, “that one,” a reference that neither of the candidates seemed offended by, but that the media did not fail to notice.

By the third debate, the discussion surrounded tax policies, Bill Ayers, and probably most remembered, Joe the Plumber.

Joe the Plumber, or Joe Wurzelbacher, wants to buy the business where he works and confronted Obama during a political rally about his tax policies.

At one point, both candidates spoke directly to the camera addressing Joe the Plumber and the policies that would help or hurt him.

McCain claimed that Obama would institute policies dictating how Joe the Plumber distributed his monies while Obama reiterated that he would not take taxes from small businesses that could not afford the tax increase.

During the debate McCain said that businesses in America should receive tax cuts in order to create job and maintain successful businesses.

“Now, of all times in America, we need to cut people’s taxes. We need to encourage business, create jobs, not spread the wealth around,” McCain said.

The two debated about why during such economic hardships a tax increase was necessary in the first place. Obama said that he did not mind paying a little more in taxes in order to create tax cuts for the 95 percent of Americans that stimulate the economy. Under his plan, only businesses earning more than $250,000 (approximately two percent of small businesses) would be affected by the tax increase.

In response to recent attacks, Obama stated that he did not “pal around with terrorists,” specifically Bill Ayers. McCain asserted that Obama launched his campaign from Ayers’ living room.

Ayers was a member of Weather Underground, an anti-Vietnam War group. The group bombed the Pentagon, U.S. Capitol and other government buildings in protest of U.S. policies. Weather Underground was then named a “domestic terrorist group” by the FBI.

Obama pointed out that he was a child during Ayer’s activity with Weather Underground.

“Forty years ago, when I was 8-years-old, he (Ayers) engaged in despicable acts with a radical domestic group. I have roundly condemned those acts. Ten years ago he served and I served on a school reform board that was funded by one of Ronald Reagan’s former ambassadors and close friends, Mr. Annenberg.”

As the final debate ended, Bob Shieffer of CBS said, “Go vote now. It will make you feel big and strong.”

As the election draws near many people are participating in early voting and absentee ballots but the debates have not seemed to change many minds.

“The debates haven’t really swayed me one way or the other since I already had an idea of who I was voting for, but they’ve secured my decision that who I’m voting for will be the best choice,” said junior Ashley Mailliard. “I have never had much interest in politics, but I have followed this election with great focus. I’m excited and nervous to see what will happen.